Hen Takes 3 Hours to Lay. Should I Be Concerned??

HannahL

Songster
Jan 11, 2018
Hi all. Hope everyone who celebrates it had a fantastic Thanksgiving. So I have a 2 year old lavender Orpington named Phoebe. She’s a fantastic hen and she’s always laid pretty reliably. Over the past couple of weeks, I’ve noticed that she’s been spending a lot of time in the nest box. Usually she lays the egg within the hour, hops out, and is in her way. But it seems every other week or so she lays an egg where she has to sit for over 3 hours. I know she’s not broody because she hops out when she’s done, doesn’t growl at me, and when I check to see if there’s an egg under her, there isn’t. She’s only been egg bound once before and we resolved it within 24 hours. Now she has constant access to oyster shells. Am I being paranoid? Should I be concerned it’s taking her so long to lay, or does it not really matter so long as she lays successfully? Thanks so much in response to any replies, especially during the holiday.

That's strange but doesn't sound like a massive emergency/problem. Some of mine take a long time and some barely any.
Do keep an eye on it, but it doesn't sound too bad, maybe she's just having a little more trouble as she gets older.
PS. My hen is called Phoebe too, she's in my avatar. A feisty girl named after the Greek goddess Artemis's epithet, means 'the moon' or 'shining one'- what was your name motive?

She’s only been egg bound once before and we resolved it within 24 hours. Now she has constant access to oyster shells. Am I being paranoid?
Maybe, but I can understand why.
If she's been egg bound before, good to keep an eye on her.
Some bird just take longer to lay.....or are just 'lounging' in the nest before and/or after laying.

That's strange but doesn't sound like a massive emergency/problem. Some of mine take a long time and some barely any.
Do keep an eye on it, but it doesn't sound too bad, maybe she's just having a little more trouble as she gets older.
PS. My hen is called Phoebe too, she's in my avatar. A feisty girl named after the Greek goddess Artemis's epithet, means 'the moon' or 'shining one'- what was your name motive?
Surprisingly enough, we just named her that because we liked the name. I like the Greek goddess motive though. Might have to just say that from now on😂

Back
Top Bottom