Hen that won't lay and acts strange.

Chicken'n'bees

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 2, 2009
We have a year old brown leghorn hen, it has only layed one egg early on around 22 --24 weeks. It hasn't layed since, as far as we know. Her abdomen is hard and doesn't seem to be interested in eating, she is a loner when she is free ranging. When she sits on the roost she is very still and on the ground she is also still and at times looks like she blows herself up, big and fat. She has sat in the nesting box and looks like she is trying to push something out, but never does. She has been like this for a long time, and doesn't seem to change. What is going on with her, will she ever lay an egg, is she bound up and how do I check for that, and if so how do I help her?

chicken & bees
Sounds like she might be egg bound. type in a search on here for egg bound. it will tell you what to do. I thought I had a hen that was egg bound she hadn't layed an egg in 28 days. I took her to the vet. He said she had an yeast infection. She is on two meds (twice a day) The vet said she should start laying in about a week

Thanks RonB, I'll keep an eye on her. I read some of the threads about egg bound hens. I'm not sure if that is the problem or not, but it does sound likely. About a week ago there was an egg layed off the roost and splattered down the wall, no shell. This hen has acted strange for months and hasn't layed an egg for months. Could it stay egg bound for that long?

As far as a yeast infection would it hel pto give yogurt and apple cider vinegar?

Back
Top Bottom