Hen tipping over

So, I did not end up putting her down.

I am thinking this could be a vitamin issue also. I ended up giving her a product called “power punch” which is given to goats after giving birth. I deluded it enough for her weight. I tried giving it in her mouth but she wouldn’t swallow it, so I put it in her water.

She’s still doing something funny with her neck, but she stood up. She seems to be able to get her foot back up under it. It started as just sitting up straight, and now she’s standing. Her poops are much healthier and she’s getting babied, I’ve fed her cottage cheese for calcium and egg as well as the vitamins still in the water.

I do not think she is out of the woods yet but I have never seen a bird with merek’s stand back up. Usually paralysis progresses. I am however going to look into merek’s vaccines for any more home bred birds.
What happened to her? Did she end up recovering? I have a laying hen who is about 3 years old displaying similar symptoms. Not sure if maybe she's eggbound. I can feel something inside her, but I can't feel a hard shell. I'm about to give her some of the electrolytes that we got with our baby chicks to see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom