hen unable to move and could have Wryneck?

powai

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Kaipara
Greetings
Our Rhode Island Red, "Goldie' 1yr old... Sun 9th am in the nesting box but her neck was round laying onto her back, like a swans? Then we noticed left eye bottom lid closing all the time and she couldn't see where she was going. This became worse. Took to vet, (Thu 13 Sep) who didn't know what was wrong and gave an antibiotic injection ... she is worse and no longer walking around. Just stayed in the nest box. We now have her in a seperate box and I have been hand feeding, though only small amounts and giving lemonade (cheap electlrolites?) Thought I would try some B vitamins next. We keep thinking she won't be alive in the morning but she is ... maybe she will get better if I persevere? Any advice please? Many thanks, Powai Hens

Welcome.
When did she last lay an egg...
Take a listen under her wing to her chest..any rattleling or wheezing sounds...
Any smell about her face or bubbles in eyes...
What does her crop feel like.....
When was she last wormed....
Did the vet do any tests.....

HI
Her last egg was Mon 10th, she stood on it which would not normally happen.
Crop is bony
We haven't wormed (use vinegar in water once per month, followed by yogurt)
Vet didn't do much at all, apart from the antibiotic jab
No smell about her face, just one eye closes alot
Her breathing is very slow, no noise
She is only just one year old
Approx weight 2kg
Not looking good, but the other day after reading about vit B1 I felt some hope
I am holding up her neck and prizing her beak open to give scrambled egg or yogurt and Vit B
Thanks for your interes. Powai Hens

I would worm her with Fenabendazole or safrguard...panacure...same products. Often used on goats or horses. If using horse paste then just give a pea sized drop.in liquid Give her 1/2 cc by mouth, then skip a day and give another, then skip until she has had it five times. I like to use poultry nutri drench vitamins... But I don't know what you can get a hold of. Keep her as hydrated as you can...even if you have to inject vitamin mixed with water under loose skin....to help keep her organs from shutting down. If you can find any baby parrot feeding formula to give her...it has a lot of good stuff in it.

Good morning from Powai Hens NZ
Thank you for your advice, will try and find products as you suggest, Best regards

Hi, Goldie died on Mon morning 24 Sep. At least having been through this I will know
a bit more of how to help our chickens. Thanks for your helpful advice. Powai Hens

Back
Top Bottom