Hen very under weight

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Last week, I checked Doodle's, (my pet Cornish X) keel bone, and took note that she seemed to be the perfect weight, a few days later, I checked again noticing that she seems a bit on the thin side. I would have taken action immediately, but we were heading out of town for the weekend, and I didn't want to ask our neighbor to separate Doodle and Smudge with feeding and sit and wait until they were done, she already had a lot to do with our mini farm 😜.
When I got back on Monday, I noticed Doodle was super thin. I became very concerned, and that night I separated her and fed her 3/4c 20% protein food while Smudge, (who is fat even though I've been majorly restricting food after they had a feed room break in) was eating her heaping 1/4 up of soaked 1/8% protein feed.
The next day and up until today, I've been separating Doodle and feeding 1c of 20% protein Scratch and peck feed soaked in the afternoons.
I'm guessing this is a bullying issue, Smudge pushing Doodle off the feed. I've never seen her peck Doodle, but I've been watching her more and noticed that she tried to block Doodle from the bowl, assuming this is the issue. Its been a week though, and I haven't noticed any improvements. She's acting completely normal, still very very skinny, she's mostly bone and her keel is very pronounced. 😥
She is still very food motivated, and the only change I've noticed is that she runs a bit slower than Smudge, but I'm guessing that is because of her condition. I'm very concerned, especially about how quickly this came on. Not sure if the neighbor forgot to feed them or what, but this was very sudden.
She did swallow quite a large amount of string multiple weeks ago, but she was fine after and that was a while ago. Her crop is filling and emptying normally could worms be an issue? Any thoughts are helpful, I'm very concerned, thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom