Hen Waddling but No Egg Inside

klunderwood

Chirping
Apr 30, 2018
Wooster AR
The 1st thing I did when I saw her was used oil to lubricate and check for egg inside. I inserted my finger as far as I could and felt nothing. I soaked her in a very warm bath and tried to offer her calcium, but she is not eating. She is pooing, a little runny but not watery. We had a rooster until recently and she had been wearing an apron. I removed it a couple of days ago and her feathers under it had not grown back yet, but the skin was healthy. However, she has in the last 2 days lost all of her feathers around her backside. I have been watching and have not seen any pecking nor does she have any bloody spots. Poor thing, she looks so miserable.
Been doing some reading and her belly is hanging very low and her legs are very far apart. Also, her belly feels very squishy, so maybe it is ascites/water belly?
I answered the other questions below. Thank you for your help!

1) What type of bird, age, and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Austrolarp, 1-year-old, average weight
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Waddling and straining
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? less than 1 day
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
unknown
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. no
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
runny, not watery nor bloody
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Bath soak and searched for a stuck egg
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
self treat
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Last edited:
If the swollen abdomen is mainly in front and between the legs, then it's most likely ascites. You can try giving her a diuretic or draining the fluid with a needle syringe.

Thank you. I will try draining her and see if she gets better. I wasn't sure since what I read sounded like it was more common in meat birds and older hens.

Back
Top Bottom