hen walking side-ways, please help!

Yeah, I didn't touch my girl when she was going through the worst of it - not even to pet her. I watched her TRY to lay down to sunbath...she'd lay over, get up, lay over another way, get up. This went on through several attempts, until she gave up. I figure it must be like trying to lay on a bed of nails... A few more days - once most of the quills are well through, she'll feel better. At least my girl did.

Thanks everyone,
This morning she spent her time in the corner of the run, crouched down pecking at stuff around her, She got up and attepted to walk to me when I came in, she did finally get there. I set down some yogurt and she ate most of it. a few minutes ago I cooked another egg and fed it to her,this time she actually got most of it too! It's weird, she seems to be better off in the afternoon, but every morning has been pretty hard on her. Right now she is in the backyard grazing with her sister. I'm very thankfull that she is interested in food and I have not had to force feed her, as that would just cause her more pain.
Thanks again and I'll keep you updated,
-roxyblue

morning #5 yeash!;
no improvment. It was a cold and rainy morning so they spent there beggining of the day in the house, then i put them in their run. She is still eating well and most of her quills have broken through the skin, now she needs them to bust through the casing and get her warm!
thanks everyone for your support,
-roxyblue

That she is eating well is huge.............she just needs to be warm and as comfy as possible and thigs should get better soon
fl.gif

JJ

thanks jjthink,
she is comfy and warm right now and I fed her another egg which she ate. I am really hoping that the poor girl will get better soon, she is having a rough time right now.
to liz allen: "bumping" is when you post underneath your own topic one or more times in a row to get it higher on the list of most recent posts. I didn't realise that it was against the rules
hide.gif
this forum talks about it a little more underneath the rules section.
I will update everyone when i get around to it in the morning,
thanks again everyone,
-roxyblue

morning # 6 update:
not to bad this morning, but still can't walk strait. I piled the feed in the coop so she could have as much as she liked and then later fed her an egg which she enjoyed, her quills have come through on her back and her wings, but her poor bare butt hasn't got a single feather on it. I might try letting her sleep in the coop if we get a warm night, but i doubt it.
thanks again everyone,
-roxyblue

Poor dear. But a lucky one, to have you keeping such a close eye on her, and helping her through this terribly disconcerting time for her.
hugs.gif

JJ

my 4 year old barred rock just last week was at the peak of her molt and was doing the same kind of walking sideways. i didn't see any other problems with her , and this week her feathers are growing in fast and she is back to normal. molting takes a lot out of them sometimes, especially the older they get.

Back
Top Bottom