hen walking side-ways, please help!

hide.gif
oops that didn't work

Last edited:
Roxy - here's my girl. This was after the quills had started to finally begun poking through, but you can see she was still side-stepping in the rear shot. She began acting "normal" again within a day or two of these pics. This was big for her, making it up to the porch again...
37862_dixie_molt_2011_004.jpg

37862_dixie_molt_2011_001.jpg

Your hen looks a lot like mine, (sorry for the bad pics, it was raining and getting dark, but she insisted that she go outside
roll.png
) Roxy has been sleeping inside for the past 5 days and she's got it in her head that my house is her coop now, she easily hopped up the three steps to my house and walked right inside to make herself at home, it ws soooooo cute!
the thing that is really suprising me is how long this has lasted, when will it stop?
thanks for sharing the pictures of your girl,
-roxyblue

It seems like she was really bad (when I first saw her that way, it reminded me of an animal or person who'd suffered a stroke) for at least a week...maybe a day or two more. Then she noticeably began to improve. She still looks horrible, but is totally back to her old self now (appx. 3 weeks later). Looking back, I know when she started to feel sick, because she's a friendly bird, but not a cuddler. I remember right before she got so down, she chased one of my chicks off my lap so that she could be petted and made over - that was NOT like her at all.
Is your girl a BR, a dom., or what??? I read an earlier post (here on your thread) about another barred rock that got hit hard...

Hi teach1rusl,
My hen is a mix between a barred rock (roo) and a Amerucauna (hen),Before her molt she laid bright blue eggs, hence my username Roxyblue. Rox is still her same old self exept for the fact that she walks crosslegged and in circles, this is so strange, thanks goodness for BYC I would be so scared right now had it not been for you and the wonderfull poeple that have replied to me.
thanks so much everyone and I'll keep you guys updated.
-roxyblue

I am so glad I found this thread! One of my Rhode Island Reds started walking a little sideways today and I was frantic! Then I found this thread and I feel much better now. All the girls are going through molt right now. And this one is losing feathers all over the place. Her molt seems to have come on very quickly. I wonder if that's the reason for the extreme reaction. I'll be keeping an eye on her, and the others. But I feel much better now. Thank you once again BYC members
smile.png

I feel the same way, for anything chicken related i can always count on BYC.
good luck with your girl!

BTW heres an update:
This mornign she seemed like she improved. Something tells me she will be better with in a day or two. Thanks Everyone for supporting me through this, you guys are the best! I'll let you know when she is normal again.
Thanks again
hugs.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom