Hen who clicks when she breathes and has yellowish/white lump on her lip. Canker?? Please help me fi

SilkiesForEver

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 24, 2012
My Ameraucana btm. hen has been clicking when she breathes and I've noticed that she has a tiny lump of yellowish/white "stuff" in her mouth. I've read it could be canker, and I'm hoping and praying it isn't. Could canker also be why she is clicking when she breathes?

Right now I am treating her with garlic liquid and arnica in her water. I prefer to treat my animals naturally, but I am open to other ways as well.

Her poops are normal, as far as I can tell. She is a bit pale (just a bit of color in her comb and face), and isn't laying eggs.
I purchased her not to long ago, so I am pretty sure this is stress related. She eats normally, not too much, not too little, and sleeps on the roosting pole.

She got into an "argument" with my other hen just a few minutes ago, and is now laying limply with her eyes closed. I have cleaned her wounds (they aren't serious) and put her in a cage in a darker room, just in case she is stressed.

Anything else I should do? Please help me figure out what is ailing her.

Thanks very much.

It could possibly be canker. Treatment is metronidazole 250mg tablet given orally once a day for 5 days. It can be purchased online as "Fishzole."
Canker can affect the crop causing the clicking. Birds with canker are carriers and it will spread through waterers. To keep it at bay, add 1/8 teaspoon acidified copper sulfate per gallon of water for 3 days in a row once a month.
IF it IS canker.....the organic stuff you're giving her is useless...she will die.
Type "canker" in the search box and look for pics.

it does not sound like canker. the symptoms of canker are as follows loss of appetite weakness frequent swallowing yellow sores in mouth or throat but it does sound like thrush. which resembles canker but canker causes sores and thrush causes a yeast like fungus (yellow stuff) in mouth. you would treat this with NYSTATIN. that's for the fungus or yellow stuff. the reason I don't think its canker is canker causes big sores. and thrush causes yellow stuff or fungus.if the stuff in the mouth keeps conning back I'd guess thrush. it also causes greyish yellowish sores in mouth too. I'd start treatment with the medication.if you believe its canker not thrush you would treat with flagyl. so look up both thrush and canker and see which you think most resembles her symptoms. then treat accordingly. I hope she feels better soon. best of luck

This is a pigeon with canker, at least that's what the website said it was.

This is my rooster. Is it canker or yeast?

Silkies, you should weigh your bird to see if she is loosing weight (see my avatar).

And can you post a picture?

Last edited:
Diflucan (fluconazole) can also be used to treat yeast infection in poultry, but it's harder to get than Nystatin, which is what I have.

This is a pigeon with canker, at least that's what the website said it was.

This is my rooster. Is it canker or yeast?

Oh my. I am pretty sure now that it is thrush/yeast. Good. I was hoping it wasn't canker.
Silkies, you should weigh your bird to see if she is loosing weight (see my avatar).

And can you post a picture?
I have weighed her, and she hasn't lost any significant amount of weight. She did loose some when she first came here, after quarantine, but is gaining it back. Nothing that was noticeable.

I'll be back with a picture in a moment.
smile.png

Thank you all so much for your help!

In los angeles. Ive been tryin fishzole and i have not seen any sigs of results, i have been doing this for 5 days

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom