Hen with a broken leg

FLOWERPOT

Songster
11 Years
Mar 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
My hens like to sit on top of the fence, I went outside and found one of my 14 week old hens hanging by her leg from the top. She had apparently gotten her leg stuck between the pole that runs across the top and the fencing itself and tried to fly off but ended up hanging from the fence. I got her loose and it appears to be broken, Not out of place but I can move her leg and it does look broken low on the leg just above the foot and it is somewhat swollen. I brought her in the house and she will not walk on it but hops around on the other foot only when she has to move, otherwise she just sets there with her mouth open. I know she is hurting.
Does anyone know what I can do for her? Is there something I can put in her water to help her with the pain? and will her leg heal?

I know she can take aspirin......JUST aspirin, not the other pain relievers. There have been several chickens with broken legs on here lately so maybe someone can tell you how to splint it or something. Good luck with her. Poor girl.
sad.png

I've never had a chicken with a broken leg but I've made a lot of splints with vet wrap etc. I would suppose if you took 2 popcicle sticks, some batting and vet wrap you could make a splint. I also know there is a plaster casting material you can by at craft stores that sets up quickly, has gause in it and you just wet it. I wish I knew what to give for pain. If the bone is not protruding then chances are better for healing. I'd call a vet and see if they could at least give you some info of what to do on your own, Oh, any bird rehabers near you? Hope she heals for you....
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I had a young hen last year break her leg too...and she hopped around like you said yours is. It was definitely broken, but not protruding either. I googled it and found directions for setting it myself. I got her out of the main pen, and had to have a helper hold her while I straightened out the leg parts, and her toes, as the big one was broken too. I taped the leg back together using a popsicle stick and wide first aid tape and then did the same thing with her toes...I kept her in a very small cage with food and water, but so small she couldn't and wouldn't try to walk around. Rested her for at least a week, maybe more (I can't remember now) but inside her coop so they could all see her and vise versa...then took her out to see how she was. I think she had to go back in for some more time, but after all was done, she's been fine. No limp, just a small bulge where the break was and then healed. The toe is still a bit curled, but she gets around great with everyone. You can save your hen-just search for those directions and photos... I will look too and edit this post if I find them. Good luck!
Lisa

http://www.lbah.com/avian/fxtibia.htm
That's the site and the exact directions I used. It worked!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom