Hen with a hurt leg, now shes just laying down?

rovinpikey

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 8, 2011
One of my hens hurt one of here legs about 4 days ago. I think she try jumping on top of something in the coup and hurt herself. For the last 4 days she has been getting around on the one foot just fine, so I figure she would be fine and her leg would heal in time. Today I found her in the coup will all the other were outside and she was just laying on the floor and could barely get around on two feet. she does not seem sick since she is eating and drinking great. shes not sneezing and doesnt seem to a runny nose.
i looked up a few chicken diseases and mereks seemed a possibility, since she is having problems with her feet, not sure about the wings? but again she isnt drowsy or seem sick? I have isolated her in a small cage so she doesnt feel the need to move around. will keep her in there for a few days and see what happens?

Anyone got any advice? can i rule out mereks, anyone know anymore about this disease?

hoe old is she? Marke's affects younger birds I believe. You can give her some electroltye solution to give her a boost and some chicken vitamins, sometimes lameness can be from a vitamin deficiency, worth a try.

she is about 7 months old. she just started laying. so i installed a laying box in the coup and she would get on top of it a poop all over it, so i put a board on top of it at a 45 degree angle so she couldnt get up there anymore. the next day she was limping, so i pretty sure her leg is hurt just from that, and also from trying to follow the other hens around the chicken run with a hurt leg. im just confused why shes having trouble with both. trying to rule out any diseases. i also read mereks was younger birds. thanks for the reply, will try give her some supplements.

Back
Top Bottom