Hen with a swollen back end

Rosdez31

Songster
Jan 24, 2019
Washington state
My hens back end is swollen and puffy and completely bald. I just noticed this when i was putting her too bed. She feels really heavy, how do i knoe if she is egg bound? and what should i do? For now im gonna bring her inside for the night hopefully then i can tell if she is eating and pooping. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20210429_211650.jpg
    20210429_211650.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 49
Is it squishy or hard? If she’s egg bound, you should be able to feel an egg. Another possibility is ascites, which is a symptom of a larger issue, often related to egg laying. I was given great advice on my own thread, if you want to check that out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/4-year-old-bantam-hen-w-reproductive-issues.1419554/.
Thank you for that, the pictures do look like comet. Its firm not too hard or squishy. She was dripping a little poop when i brought her inside it seems lile theres a partial blockage. There was a little bit of movement like she is trying to pass something. I gave her an epsom salt bath and calcium. I offered her water with electrolytes but she hasnt eaten or drank since i brought her inside. I couldnt feel an egg but i was worried about breaking it or stressing her out so i didnt try to hard, ill check better in the morning. The frustrating thing is i had a poultry vet out today for another bird i dont think i can get her on an emergency.

Here’s the latest update on my thread, from April 14th:
Olive survived being bitten by a dog, her bumble foot seems to finally be recovering, and she’s still alive!
I know that her ascites hasn’t gone away, but it’s amazing to me that she’s still doing well. I guess whatever reproductive problem she has isn’t getting much worse since she doesn’t produce much egg material.
Picture from February 13th (when the dog bit her):View attachment 2617078

A couple days ago (her feathers are wet because I was cleaning her butt fluff off):
View attachment 2617088View attachment 2617091

View attachment 2617107View attachment 2617108

Back
Top Bottom