lil bird lady1

Chirping
Feb 1, 2017
It's a blue silkie hen who has had crooked beak her whole life and has been just fine. Shes almost a year old. I woke up this morning and went out to go let the birds out and somehow her bottom beak looked like it was missing I took a closer look and her beak isnt gone, it looks like her jaw broke and her beak is dangling. Shes eating and drinking and acting normal somehow. The only behavior change is shes shaking her head occasionally. I've never seen anything like this so I have no idea what to do. I need help, I dont know if I should put her down or if theres something I can do to save her. Its physically impossible for predators t ok get in the coop so it wasnt an attack.
20190120_121744.jpg
20190120_121741.jpg

She looks more like a splash beauty than blue to me. :love

Honestly if I couldn't take her to the vet for attention... this is probably one I would put down and know I gave her the best life I could as long as possible. :hmm

Otherwise I MIGHT try to remove the dangling piece.

Hang in there. Hopefully you will get some more input that might be better than mine. :fl

So sorry about your silkie. A raccoon can reach a hand through a 1 inch opening like chicken wire, and a weasel can go right through which could be possible pedators that did this. But it may have been some type of accident. Can you clean up her beak and take another picture of it? Many of us use 1/2 hardware cloth fencing around our runs and on windows, and that keeps most predators including rats out. I would make sure that she has a taller bowl of wet chicken feed made into a mash. Egg and possibly a bit of plain yogurt can be added for extra interest. You may want to also offer some food by hand and give water to her beak with a syringe or dropper. Try letting her drink out of a cup to her beak to make sure she gets enough.

Back
Top Bottom