Hen with bubbly eye

Silkie Princess

Crossing the Road
Jun 24, 2021
Slovakia, Europe
My Coop
My Coop
Help! Yesterday I bought a hen at a poultry show. I bought 2 more with her. The other ones are doing fine but this hen is acting a little wierd. She keeps sneezing and her throat apears to be very,, wet" (if you know what I mean). Her eye is also very bubbly. They were not in contact with any of my hens but should I put her seperately? Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_20211010_064041.jpg
    IMG_20211010_064041.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 28
yes, separate her immediately. many diseases cause a bubbly eye, the majority, if not all of them, are infectious. i recommend research and antibiotics in some form. if you cant acquire antibiotics, ive had luck with VetRX.

Help! Yesterday I bought a hen at a poultry show. I bought 2 more with her. The other ones are doing fine but this hen is acting a little wierd. She keeps sneezing and her throat apears to be very,, wet" (if you know what I mean). Her eye is also very bubbly. They were not in contact with any of my hens but should I put her seperately? Please help!
@Wyorp Rock could probably help you tomorrow.

I, too, will seperate her, as it could be MG. Her eye looks cloudy as well. As for her throat, do you see anything inside her beak thats not supposed to be there? Sneezing might be another sign of a respiratory issue, which I believe includes MG, but I cannot say this with much confidence at all.

@Eggcessive is one to ask on the subject.

@Wyorp Rock could probably help you tomorrow.

I, too, will seperate her, as it could be MG. Her eye looks cloudy as well. As for her throat, do you see anything inside her beak thats not supposed to be there? Sneezing might be another sign of a respiratory issue, which I believe includes MG, but I cannot say this with much confidence at all.

@Eggcessive is one to ask on the subject.
Thank you! I put her seperately and all of them have diarhea but I don't really worry about that because they probably didn't eat much at the show and I only fed them a while ago + they dra nk a lot when I gave them water

You did the best thing to not bring the hen home. Were the other 2 hens near her, and did you bring them home? Chickens can get respiratory and other diseases at chicken shows, swap meets, and other breeders. It is always a gamble to bring chickens into a flock from another person. They should be quarantined far away from other chickens to watch for signs of disease for at least 30 days. Eye bubbles and foam are some of the signs of mycoplasma or MG, a chronic respiratory disease. People should never bring chickens from an MG positive flock to chicken shows, either into the show or try to sell them outside, which I have witnessed.

You did the best thing to not bring the hen home. Were the other 2 hens near her, and did you bring them home? Chickens can get respiratory and other diseases at chicken shows, swap meets, and other breeders. It is always a gamble to bring chickens into a flock from another person. They should be quarantined far away from other chickens to watch for signs of disease for at least 30 days. Eye bubbles and foam are some of the signs of mycoplasma or MG, a chronic respiratory disease. People should never bring chickens from an MG positive flock to chicken shows, either into the show or try to sell them outside, which I have witnessed.
Yes they were but they seem okay

Attachments

• 16338683629198649960551620192961.jpg
    16338683629198649960551620192961.jpg
    990.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 16338683838174054947430119767445.jpg
    16338683838174054947430119767445.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 6
This is not far enough is it?

Attachments

• IMG_20211010_144851.jpg
    IMG_20211010_144851.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Once the 2 hens were around the hen with the bubbly eyes, she could have been exposed to the respiratory disease, especially if they were from the same flock. A disease such as MG, if that is what the hen has, will make the whole flock infected and carriers for life. It stays in their bodies for life, whether they ever show symptoms or not. Symptoms can come back again whenever they are stressed. Here is an article for you to read about it:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/def... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

When quarantining a new flock member, they should not be just across a fence from others. They can still expose your flock that close.

Once the 2 hens were around the hen with the bubbly eyes, she could have been exposed to the respiratory disease, especially if they were from the same flock. A disease such as MG, if that is what the hen has, will make the whole flock infected and carriers for life. It stays in their bodies for life, whether they ever show symptoms or not. Symptoms can come back again whenever they are stressed. Here is an article for you to read about it:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/publications/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
Thanks! No they were from tottaly different towns

Back
Top Bottom