Swolen, bubbly eye

The Birb King

Bird is the word
Dec 10, 2022
Earth
Austrolorp hen has had a weird swolen eye for a few weeks and now there's bubbles in it? I haven't closely examined it yet but is there anything I can do? She still eats, drinks, and acts mostly normal, but she does seem a little less active then normal and tucking her head under her wing more than usual.
20231226_111206.jpg

Austrolorp hen has had a weird swolen eye for a few weeks and now there's bubbles in it? I haven't closely examined it yet but is there anything I can do? She still eats, drinks, and acts mostly normal, but she does seem a little less active then normal and tucking her head under her wing more than usual.View attachment 3713795
Poor hen! This could affect her vision permanently if not treated. Could be mycoplasma. Could be an infection that will need antibiotics and the swelling could be pus that might need removal. Do you have access to a vet?

Poor hen! This could affect her vision permanently if not treated. Could be mycoplasma. Could be an infection that will need antibiotics and the swelling could be pus that might need removal. Do you have access to a vet?
Well last year my Serama rooster had a respiratory infection that caused his eye to swell up. I put terramyacin on it and that seemed to help. I think I still have some left so I will try it for this hen

Well last year my Serama rooster had a respiratory infection that caused his eye to swell up. I put terramyacin on it and that seemed to help. I think I still have some left so I will try it for this hen
The other possibility, among several though, that I was trying to think of - is Coryza. Here's some info about possibilities. But I am not experienced in these things, though I had bubbles in the eyes in two of my hens - suspected mycoplasma - but a vet's swab on the second after she was mostly recovered after antibiotics was negative.
https://poultrydvm.com/condition/sinusitis

Have you tried treating this eye at all? If so, what have you been doing for it?

It's possible it's a simple eye infection from a foreign body trapped in the eye. The eye should be flushed out daily with saline and twice a day put Terramycin in it until the eye returns to normal.

If it persists in spite of this care, then I would try an oral antibiotic.

Have you tried treating this eye at all? If so, what have you been doing for it?

It's possible it's a simple eye infection from a foreign body trapped in the eye. The eye should be flushed out daily with saline and twice a day put Terramycin in it until the eye returns to normal.

If it persists in spite of this care, then I would try an oral antibiotic.
No I have not treated it yet. I was going to use terramycin

I would probably use the Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin into the eye after cleaning with saline. There looks to be some dried nasal secretions as well. Does it smell bad about her head and face? If not, then Tylosin powder (ordered from Jedds.com, could be put into her water to treat for possible MG. Coryza smells rather bad, and sulfa antibiotics are needed. Pus from the sinus area may be removed with some gentle pressing around the eye. There are graphic videos on YouTube to see by googling “bulging eye in chicken.” The longer the eye goes untreated, there is a possibility of losing the eye.

Back
Top Bottom