Hen with diarrhea, shriveled comb

OK, so I got her out to take a picture of the mysterious lump by her vent and it's gone! However, she is super skinny. She's been eating and drinking. I've been giving her boiled egg too which she gobbles right up. Anyway, here's a pic of her vent as it is now. And one of her head where you can see her shriveled comb. Also, I didn't see the last post which told me to not put her out with the others and I tried it. Didn't go well. She's back in the infirmary.

Forgot to mention that her eyes and nostrils are fine. Also, she seems to breathe well. No problems there.

Thank you Enola. My feed store only has Wazeen (sp?) in liquid or they have a granular. They suggested I put her on the liquid since it's just her that's sick. I'll pick it up tonight or tomorrow and give it a try. Fingers crossed.

So, if she does return to health will the rest of the flock still pick on her since she's been gone for so long? Or will they know she's healthy and leave her alone?

Thank you Enola. My feed store only has Wazeen (sp?) in liquid or they have a granular. They suggested I put her on the liquid since it's just her that's sick. I'll pick it up tonight or tomorrow and give it a try. Fingers crossed.

So, if she does return to health will the rest of the flock still pick on her since she's been gone for so long? Or will they know she's healthy and leave her alone?

Safeguard is the way to go, as Enola mentioned. Wazine is okay, but Safeguard kills a greater number of worms that she could potentially have.

As for being picked on... If you remove a flock member for longer than a few days, the pecking order will be re-established upon introducing the chicken back into the flock. If she were healthy, I'd say don't worry about that. They usually work it out on their own. But a SICK chicken stands no chance! Besides, if it's something contagious, I'd hate for your other girls to pick it up.

Regardless of how agitated your mama gets, just remember that YOU know what is best for her. <3 Keep her inside until she can return to her flockmates in good health!

MrsB

Safeguard is fine if you want to dose 3-5 days in a row, 10 days apart. Valbazen suspension (albendazole) is commonly found in feed stores. It is safe & effective on all helminths. Labeled for goats it is direct fed with a syringe, or blotted on a piece of bread at .08 cc per pound of bird's weight. Dose once and again 10 days later. Meanwhile run poultry vitamin-electrolyte-probiotic powder in waterers 3-5 days a week. Vitamins, trace minerals, building intestinal flora back up is more important than excessive protein which will merely slow the digestive process. You want to build up the immune system. 16-18% protein diet is adequate for adult hens.

In regard to the wound near the vent, keep an eye on it to ensure it doesn't become infected. Iodine/Betadine is a good topical antibacterial.

Get yourself a digital kitchen scale and start weighing her every morning. I suspect that you will see a daily weight loss.

If your feed store doesn't have Valbazen, find some Safeguard goat wormer or Safeguard horse paste wormer. The dose I use is 0.23 ml per pound for five days.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom