Hen with eyes crusted shut! - Any idea what it might be?

jmjoffrion

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 13, 2010
Agua Dulce
I have an 6 month (ish) old hen who's eyes have crusted shut. Her eyes are not puffy or red but have a clear discharge that dries and, obviously, crusts over. She is otherwise acting normal....other than the fact that she can't see with her eyes shut and is a bit mellow until I open them then she's back to 100% normal. Does anyone have any idea if it is a simple eye infection and if it can be treated...with what??? or if it is more. She is one of a flock of 10 who, other than her, are all fine.

Quote:
I'd separate her for the time being till you know a little more of what your dealing with. you can ger terrimycin for eyes at the feed store, it will be in a salve. use that in her eyes till it clears up, also might want to wash them out with saline for eyes or make your own with salt and warm water. gently wash her eyes. you can also use neosporin w/o pain relief, in and around her eyes. she could have gotten dust in the and or something that has irrated them or she could have some kind of infection. best to be safe than sorry. No other symptoms besides her eyes?

she is a little sneezy...the whole flock had gone through a few week teatment of teramyacin a few weeks back for a respratory thing. I have put them all back on for the time being, just to be safe.

I had a chick who experienced an eye thing-- clear not bubbly, and crusted shut one day. Energetic and eating (otherwise normal behavior) as well. Might you have anything around for human pink-eye? Ciprofloxacin (it's a prescription) drops cleared it within 24 hours. She sneezed as well, so it may have been related to / a symptom of respiratory difficulties. See if you can get a hold of an antibiotic eye drop?

Good luck
smile.png

I think I might have of the pink eye medication that was for my daughter's pink eye....Any sugestions if I don't have it or if it has expired?

Quote:
It should still even if it has expired as long as it's been within the last few years. Expiration dates for most drugs are just to cover a drug manufacturer's butt, and to make consumers buy it more often for the most part! In most situations, the drug may not be quite as effective, but usually it's just fine.

Quote:
It should still even if it has expired as long as it's been within the last few years. Expiration dates for most drugs are just to cover a drug manufacturer's butt, and to make consumers buy it more often for the most part! In most situations, the drug may not be quite as effective, but usually it's just fine.

X2. An erythromycin opthalmic or ointment has also been successful. I had tried so many things and all steered me back to an antibiotic eye drop. Which, naturally, are all prescriptions. I finally told my doctor friend that I had blepharitis in my eye and he called in some ciprofloxacin for "me". Check around with your neighbors who have children maybe... someone should have some.

Your hen could have something else, but the symptoms are the same. Once I cleared the infection in her eye, it took about a week for her to be totally back to normal.

Her eyes have cleared up but she has been keeping them closed. As I looked at her last night to see if maybe I could figure it all out, I see a little mite run across her eye lid. Then another and another. She has mites. Isn't there a dusting powder I can get at the local feed store to handle this?

Back
Top Bottom