Hen with impacted crop

I will look into the tubing tonight. Yesterday she was drinking and eating on her own, so I didn't think it was necessary, but this morning she did neither.

I will look into the tubing tonight. Yesterday she was drinking and eating on her own, so I didn't think it was necessary, but this morning she did neither.
I think you're at work now, right? If I were you I would try to locate the supplies and pick them up on your way home.

-Kathy

Kathy, i am curious if you have tried to suction out some of a impact by the reverse method of tube feeding? So instead out pushing food in,you are pulling some mass out with syringe and tube(need a larger tube for this,i am thinking)just wondering as it might be an alternative to surgery or if a vet is not an option.

I would probably use a vacuum,attach to tube and adjust the pressure by how tube is connected to vacuum and suck this mass out(i suction junk out all the time with vacuum or shop vac,even plugged dishwasher,husband is a plumber so if he is not home to fix stuff,i improvise based on what he does with correct tools).

Please don't anyone try this as it has never been tried to my knowledge.

I tried to syringe liquid out, but the soft tissues kept getting sucked into the tube.

-Kathy
If only there was a way to adjust pressure(instrument similar to what a dentist uses to suction out mouth)otherwise this might work,will have to think this out,b/c know i am thinking there has to be a way to make this work. Will talk to husband as he as all sorts of tools dealing with plugged everything.

Last edited:
If only there was a way to adjust pressure(instrument similar to what a dentist uses to suction out mouth)otherwise this might work,will have to think this out,b/c know i am thinking there has to be a way to make this work.
There probably is a way to make suction work, but not for this bird, lol.
big_smile.png
This bird has been sick for at least two days and I can almost guarantee you she has not been drinking enough water, so now there's food in her crop and digestive tract that's probably starting to ferment and or/rot. She needs water ASAP!

-Kathy

There probably is a way to make suction work, but not for this bird, lol.
big_smile.png
This bird has been sick for at least two days and I can almost guarantee you she has not been drinking enough water, so now there's food in her crop and digestive tract that's probably starting to ferment and or/rot. She needs water ASAP!

-Kathy
Agree,tubing water into her is urgent.

@castportpony Kathy. I have a Roo with impacted crop. He doesn't feel like he has a breast at all. Very Skinny. His crop is hard, impacted. I just tubed 40ml of water and massaged crop. How much water do I administer and how often? Thank you!!!!

Back
Top Bottom