Hen with large sore under wing

JustBockleYa

Hatching
Apr 2, 2022
This is little Wren, a Midnight Majesty who is just about 1 year old. Two days ago I noticed that she was holding her right wing just a bit away from her body and lifted it to uncover this....yikes! Sore? Abscess?

I've separated her from the flock to keep an eye on her - we have 9 other hens and 1 roo. She is eating, drinking, pooping, and laying all as normal and quite frankly seems to be annoyed with being cooped up in a tote in our bathroom.

Wondering if this was perhaps initially caused by our rooster mounting her? There are no signs of her being attacked and I have seen no pests on the chickens or in the coop. The sore is quite clean, and actually was when I discovered it. It seems somewhat healed in the middle but the outermost layers of tissue around the edges look almost as if it they are loose and separating from the layers underneath; which is what is causing me more concern. It does not smell and seems to be free of infection - fingers crossed!

She grooms herself as normal and is not picking at it from what I've seen since her quarantine. Unfortunately I wasn't home much last week to observe Rusty + the Girls so I can't say if anything strange happened or how long this has been brewing.

Thanks for your thoughts on cause and suggested course of treatment!

IMG_7529.jpeg
IMG_7536.jpeg

we have 9 other hens and 1 roo. She is eating, drinking, pooping, and laying all as normal and quite frankly seems to be annoyed with being cooped up in a tote in our bathroom.

Wondering if this was perhaps initially caused by our rooster mounting her?

It does not smell and seems to be free of infection - fingers crossed!
I agree, it looks like injury from mating, likely from the rooster's nails, he may need a manicure, file the nails smooth, trim a bit if needed and file.

I've had injury like this under the wing of a hen. Since your Gal's looks like it's already healing very well, then I would just swab it with some Chlorhexidine daily, let that dry, then put her back with the Hens.

Separate the rooster while she's healing. Once healed, put a saddle on her. Let the rooster back with the flock.
It's not a punishment for the rooster to be separated. HE will easily integrate back into the flock of hens. A hen that is separated for a period of time while healing will have a much harder time with integration, she'll lose her place in the pecking order.

Do observe to make sure the hens aren't picking at her sores, but not likely since the wounds look very nice and clean.

The hens may appreciate a break from the rooster for a while too.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom