Hen With Prolapsed Vent Needs to Lay Egg

Arya28

Songster
Apr 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
So I just noticed a couple hours ago that my silkie hen has a prolapsed vent. She has been laying eggs regularly prior to this and acting healthy.

So we just gave her a bath, trimmed the hair around her vent, and cleaned it before trying to put her vent back in. However, she hasn’t yet laid an egg today, and it is right on the inside of her vent. We noticed this when trying to put it back in.

So what should we do? Keep trying to put it back in, wait for her to lay her egg, or what? Will this make her egg bound? Any help will be appreciated!

Here's my little Silkie hen IttyBits, and her first chick just hatched on 4 Oct.
IMG_3292.JPG

IMG_3325.JPG

I’m really sorry about this but I need to post a picture and it’s really gross looking. If you don’t want to look, please avert your eyes now.

If you do and can try to help it would be appreciated!

There are two “tubes”. A red one and a black one. Which one does the egg need to be pulled from??

E97D257F-5226-46B9-9012-4C1B90D5D9D1.jpeg

Attachments

• 48D8D67B-01F8-48C1-86C9-586A08EA3F5A.jpeg
    48D8D67B-01F8-48C1-86C9-586A08EA3F5A.jpeg
    574.3 KB · Views: 10
That does not look good. That's got to be painful. The red is the oviduct, I'm sot sure what the black thing is. I've never seen it before.

That does not look good. That's got to be painful. The red is the oviduct, I'm sot sure what the black thing is. I've never seen it before.

I know I feel so bad for her! This little chicken has been through so much. Because her face isn’t as fluffy (she looks exactly like yours) everyone thought she was a boy so she was in the rooster flock with 16 boys for a while. We got we out, and she was doing great with one other rooster, laying every day. Then this happens.

So we didn’t have olive oil so we used aloe gel from our plant. We didn’t pull the egg all the way or because we don’t know which tube to pull it out and don’t want to hurt her! We kind of lubed her up so we are going to wait a few mins and see if she can do it on her own...

Attachments

• 037CFA19-5D3D-47EB-9BCC-D8F67E0A1A91.jpeg
    037CFA19-5D3D-47EB-9BCC-D8F67E0A1A91.jpeg
    465.6 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom