Hen with prolapsed vent

Hey, is you hen ok? This sounds so stressful, I feel for you! This is how we resolved a prolapse, in case it helps you.

One of my girls, Sumo, had a prolapse that would not stay in / couldn't be put back. It was not damaged or infected, luckily.

I did all the things you are doing but it wasn't working and obviously caused paid. I took her to the vet who anaesthetized her, folded the prolapse back in, and placed a small suture shrinking the cloaca temporarily so the tissues would stay in. She also x-rayed Sumo to check for eggs or any other obvious reproductive issues, and found no issues and no eggs on the way. We had to monitor to make sure Sumo was pooping, and give her antibiotics and anti-inflammatories every day for 6 days. The procedures, day at the hospital, and all the meds etc cost us 60 euros. After a week we went back, at the vet removed the suture and observed Sumo for a day to check that everything stayed in place. We also opted to give Sumo and injection to stop her laying for four months (and will do it again then) so she's basically on the pill - which is us deciding we'd rathen forgo eggs than risk it happening again. That cost us 15 euros.

It's been a few months and Sumo is her normal cheeky fluffy self. I hope the same is true for your girl!

Back
Top Bottom