Hen with prolapsed vent

Poultrylady2022

Chirping
Mar 13, 2022
Hi everyone I know this question has been asked a thousand times but I’m kind of at a loss. I have a hen with a prolapsed vent and we’ve been battling it for 4 days now. I’ve been soaking her with epsom salts, pushed it back in place, put preparation h around the area, and kept her inside where it’s somewhat dark but it still keeps coming back out. She’s not egg bound, with how many times I’ve had to push it back in place I have never felt an egg. Am I missing something? Is there anything else I should do? I feel really sorry for her and wondered if anyone else had any tricks up their sleeve. Thanks in advance!

Do you have any pictures of the prolapse? It can take a week or more for some prolapses to stay in. Just keep it from drying out with the cream.

Do you have any pictures of the prolapse? It can take a week or more for some prolapses to stay in. Just keep it from drying out with the cream.
I will take some tomorrow and post them and I’ll keep doing what I’m doing unless someone says to try something different. Thank you!

You could also use some prednisone cream on the prolapse to reduce the swelling which will help to keep it inside.
Where would you get prednisone cream from? I did not get a picture today but I’ll get one soon and post it. It doesn’t seem like it bothers her but I can’t put her back with everyone else with her booty looking like that it’s like a bullseye!

Where would you get prednisone cream from? I did not get a picture today but I’ll get one soon and post it. It doesn’t seem like it bothers her but I can’t put her back with everyone else with her booty looking like that it’s like a bullseye!
You can find anti-inflammatory (hydrocortisone) cream at stores like Walmart/CVS.

The main thing is to keep the exposed tissue covered with ointment, cream, raw honey, etc. so the tissue does not dry out and become necrotic.

Giving extra Calcium daily will also help with contractions and retention.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Just an update her prolapse finally started staying in night before last. I watched her all day yesterday and planned to put her outside today. She was making a lot of noise today and I didn’t really think anything of it because she’s been pretty noisy the whole time she’s been inside. I decided to check her just to make sure her prolapse was still in and I was going to take her back outside. She was egg bound. Her insides were on the outside as she was trying to push the egg out. I am not sure how long she had been trying to push the egg out. I put her in an epsom salt bath and helped her get the egg out. She bled and her insides acted like they did not want to go back in. Since then she’s been wrapped up in a towel asleep. That was over two hours ago. I imagine laying an egg is hard especially when it doesn’t come out like it’s supposed to but will she be ok?

Did the tissue go back in after you helped get the egg out or is she still prolapsed?
If she's still prolapsed, how much tissue is exposed?

Photos?

You've given her Calcium right?

Hard to know if she will be o.k. Work on hydration and getting calcium into her. Any exposed tissue needs to be kept covered/moist with your ointment/oils.

Warning Graphic Photo!!

I’ve done everything I know to try. I’ve done everything suggested. After she laid the egg and I pushed the prolapse back in, she was fine for two days inside so I put her back outside. First day back outside, she prolapsed again. I actually remembered to take a picture this time while I was cleaning her up. Is there anything else I can do?

Attachments

• IMG_0251.jpeg
    IMG_0251.jpeg
    460.4 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom