Hen with red, swollen butt, help!

laurelsh

Chirping
14 Years
May 17, 2007
Hi!
My black hen, who is about 10 months old and has been laying eggs, has a red, swollen butt. She lives with five other hens and a rooster. She acts fine, looks healthy, but from behind you can see her skin is red and swollen between feathers on her rump. Since she is in with other hens, I don't know what her poop looks like or if she is currently laying.

Should I isolate her? Should I run her on antibiotics? What should I do?

Thanks, Laurel

Last edited:
I have a hen like that. She's had it for a year and the only problem it's caused is that now she lays misshapen eggs. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it's probably a butt tumor, a reproductive cyst, internal laying, or an absess. Is is squishy like a water balloon, or hard and fatty?

Can you tell if the other birds are pecking at her bottom? You may wish to isolate her to determine exactly what is going on. That way you can tell how much she is actually eating an drinking, and whether she is laying or perhaps is eggbound.

Please keep us updated on how things go!

Hi,
Thanks for the responses. I've isolated her. It is in the lower butt area, not around the vent, and it is swollen, red, squishy. No break to the skin. No injury, so it's internal. Seems quite far from her vent.
We'll see if she lays an egg today.
Ciao, Laurel

My largest hen had the same problem, laid eggs occasionally, and would grow back some feathers just to have a bare swollen bottom again a few days later. It's possible that whatever is irritating her made her pick at herself in frustration. The other hens weren't good to her either- they seem to know when one of them is not feeling well. A warm soak in water in a big bucket helps her feel better, but the growth or problem never went away.

Update on Hen.
She laid an egg today, seems completely normal in attitude and activity, other than the red swollen area. I think I'll start her on antibiotics tomorrow.
Laurel

Back
Top Bottom