Hen with Rooster "Traits"

ChickenJohn1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 4, 2013
Zionsville, Indiana
I have 3 Jersey Giants hens that are 15 months old. One is laying, two are not. Also in the flock is Dorthy my lone Easter Egger and best layer ~1 egg a day and the Jersey girl is laying probably 5 eggs a week. The Amerucana rooster in this flock is 5 months old and not yet too well accepted into the older birds pecking order - the Easter Egger and Jersey Giants were all raised together.

I believe the rooster has fertilized Dorthy eggs and we will know better in a few days as incubation is in progress.

My question is at times I see one of the non-laying Jersey Giants attempt to get on top of Dorthy as if to mate. The Jersey is a hen, no crowing, no sickle tail feathers, etc. What's going on here?

Second question is, the rooster only seems to pay attention to the my actively laying hens. Is there some way he knows who is laying and who isn't, pheromones or something? The other possibility is the two non-laying Jersey Giants are pretty big and while not quite bullies, don't put up with much stuff.

It is normal to find the occasional hen that is very dominant, who shows her dominance by attempting to "mate" with another hen, I have found (and read others' accounts of it as well on BYC so I know it is not just my experience).

I have had two such hens over the past several years, both Orpingtons. I haven't seen it in the other breeds we have had.

I don't know if the roosters can tell who is laying among the hens who have layed eggs in the past...good question.

Why are your 15 month hens not laying?

I've always been told roosters mate hens who are fertile/sexually mature. This is usually indicated in a hen by a plump red comb. Hens who are molting, broody, ill, etc have pale, smaller combs and I've been taught the rooster uses that to gauge who to mate. The red catches his eye and turns him on.....something like that.

Do you have pics of your non laying hens?

It is normal to find the occasional hen that is very dominant, who shows her dominance by attempting to "mate" with another hen, I have found (and read others' accounts of it as well on BYC so I know it is not just my experience).

I have had two such hens over the past several years, both Orpingtons. I haven't seen it in the other breeds we have had.

I don't know if the roosters can tell who is laying among the hens who have layed eggs in the past...good question.
My 14 month old Speckled Sussex hen has been mounting my 20 week old pullets (Ameraucana and Cuckoo Marans). She also occasionally will crow.

Back
Top Bottom