tarahharlin

Songster
9 Years
Dec 29, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
My Coop
My Coop
Hi,

I have a Blue Splash Marans hen that is 8 months old with a squishy crop. I check my girls crops every morning and yesterday was when I first noticed hers hadn’t fully emptied and felt squishy. I did feel her crop before going to bed last night and it was full and then checked again first thing this morning. Stuff did move through as it wasn’t as full as it was when she went to bed, but she still had a squishy ball size crop this morning. Her breath doesn’t smell sour.

She seems okay, but does seem a little subdued and she didn’t go to her crumble first thing this morning. I did give her some crumble with warm water added along with a little psyllium husk powder (a vet once recommended that me) and she gobbled that right up. They have access to grit and I did notice her eating some yesterday. She is currently laying and last laid this past Saturday. I did feel her abdomen in case of anything reproductive related, but everything felt normal. Her poops appear normal at this point. I have noticed her doing that neck/crop adjustment at times these past two days, so I’m worried there may be something stuck, or blocked somewhere.

I have always referred to the two articles on crops by @TwoCrows and @azygous . I’ve never had this issue with a hen so young before. Do you think I should go ahead and give her monistat at this point, or is there anything else that I should be doing to help her. I just don’t want to miss anything! I would so appreciate any advice!

I think it's terrific you're so alert to the health needs of your chickens. Catching problems early makes for the best outcomes.

Psyllium is a good preventative for impacted crop as it draws in fluids and helps the crop to empty better. However, it won't do anything for a yeast infection that's trying to take hold.

Yes, I'm in agreement with you that it'd be wise to start the miconazole, especially since you report that she's showing signs of crop discomfort by making the tell-tale neck movements.

Yeast prevents the crop from emptying, and that causes the appetite to start falling off. Waiting too long to begin yeast treatment only allows the yeast to grow and the appetite to weaken, causing the chicken to become weak, which sets up a vulnerability to infection. You are wise and observant to catch this early before it causes your hen to become dangerously sick.

Thank you so much for your reply and advice!

I will get her started on the miconazole as soon as I get home from work. You mentioned in your article about using 1/4 inch of the suppository. I’ve never given it in the suppository form before. Do you just cut it and pop it in their beak? In theory, it sounds easier to use than the cream.

It always boggles my mind how quickly these issues can pop up and I really hope I can help her. She is just the sweetest little hen.

Do you think I need to worry about any sort of impaction in her gizzard or intestinal tract?

Thanks again! :)

Yes, the suppository can be cut into the smaller lengths and just popped into the beak. Some chickens like the cream and will eat it off your finger. It's all the same med though. Use whatever works best for you.

Nipping the yeast infection should head off impaction in the gizzard. It's not usually something you need to worry about happening with a yeast infection, though.

Update-
Her crop was empty when I checked her first thing this morning and she seemed to be more herself...eating crumble and scratching around. What a relief!

I’ll continue her treatment for the 7 days and hopefully she’ll continue to do well!

I thought I would update this thread with the final outcome.

She continued having an empty crop throughout her 7 day treatment and we are now going on about a week after her last treatment dose and her crop has been good. The only thing is, she hasn't laid since her crop issue, but some of the others we added this spring have also taken a little break, so I'm hoping that's all it is. Regardless, she seems to be acting like a normal little hen and I'm relieved it all turned out okay!
Sweet Pea and I thank you for all your advice! :love
IMG_0091.jpg

That makes me feel a little more at ease about impaction in the gizzard.

So, I ended up with the cream as they didn't have the suppositories in the 7 day treatment. She got her first dose tonight, so fingers crossed. She laid an egg today too.

Thanks again for your help!
My BCMarans has also had a squishy crop and her underbelly feels swollen the past few days. She acts normal, eating and active but I think I will try the Miconazole cream. How much of the cream did you give her per dose?

Back
Top Bottom