Hen with suspected EYP

PetRock

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Camino, CA
I have a 1 yr old SS hen that I suspect has EYP, egg yolk peritonitis. She is definitely not feeling well but showing no signs of respiratory problems. She is hunched over and not interested at all in treats. This particular hen has also started wanting to be in a nest box at night. I looked her over carefully but, after researching EYP this morning, I need to go look again to see if her abdomen is swollen. I have had a couple thin shelled eggs from someone in the past week plus egg yolk colored pine shavings in the nest box and under the roost. I just assumed that an egg was breaking when laid and my girls were eating it. I didn't even suspect EYP until she started acting sick yesterday evening and I looked up the symptoms on BYC this morning. I am going to give her a warm bath and make sure she is not egg bound. All I have on hand for medication is Sulmet and Tylan. Will one of those work or should I try to get some penicillin or amoxycillin? I feel so bad that I missed the signs leading up to this.
sad.png

Debi, don't beat yourself up, we all wish our animals could talk and tell us when they are sick. This is a very hard thing to diagnose.

I have Baytril if that is recommended for this. Personally I don't have experience with it. I plan to go to ranch mid day if you'd like to meet me

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom