Hen with swollen eye (picture)

chixcoop

Chirping
Jul 24, 2015
Western Mass
I went out to see the chickens this morning and it noticed this hen with the puffy eye. What should I do to make it better and what is this disease/infection?

The other eye is normal, and I'm hoping to try to heal her without the use of a vet.

Does she have other symptoms that could be from a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG) or coryza? Does she smell bad? Those would be nasal drainage, coughing, wheezing, gasping? Could she have been stung or pecked around her eye? There looks like bubbles or foam in the swollen eye, and that can also be a sign of MG, but also can be do to swelling. If you think she has a respiratory infection, then get some Tylan 50 injectable, and give her 1 ml or cc orally twice a day for 5 days. If she is less than 5 pounds, give her 1/2 ml or cc. Oxytetracycline powder could also be used in her water, instead, but she would need to drink enough of it to get the medicine. Those are found at most feed stores near cattle medicines. Some Terramycin eye ointment or Neosporin can be applied inside the eye twice a day also.

I just looked again at your picture, and was wondering if she might have fowl pox from the little marks on her comb and face? That is a virus carried by mosquitoes, and sometimes the eye can become involved.

Last edited:
She seems fine in her breathing. She is pecking food and was in the nest box this morning (not sure if she layed an egg). I didn't even notice her when she was in the box because her other eye looks normal. She smells fine too.

She could have been pecked in the eye, because when I went to put her back in the cage, another hen came over and attempted to peck her other eye (missed).

If this is a cut/scratch kind of infection how should I go about fixing this?

Thanks

Warm wet compresses (like a folded washcloth that will hold heat) to her eye a couple of times a day while holding her in your lap, may help. Then apply some antibiotic ointment1/8th inch into the eyetwice a day. Any drainage or pus should be removed first.

Back
Top Bottom