Hen? Won't stop crowing!! Help!

I rescued a baby chick that was being rejected by what seemed to be the mother, and was in danger of getting eaten by cats. I live in a townhouse with a small yard and 4 dogs all diff sizes. She's an only chick but she gets along with the dogs! There are some days she'll get spicy and try to peck at their faces. She's pretty smart and I feel like she listens when I tell her to stop because then she'll walk around them just fine. What's really becoming an issue is crowing. I bought her a coop with a run which I've been keeping indoors in the same area as the dogs so they're next to each other but can't get to each other when I'm not around. My backyard is very small and although the plan was to fit her coop in a corner so she can be outside, we can't do so yet because we are in the process of paving the yard. What I'm realizing is that the crowing is going to be an issue for my neighbors if/when she gets moved outside. My boyfriend actually wants to keep her inside but I understand chickens need some sun and some grass to graze. I've tried letting her outside but shes terrified of the outside world and quickly runs back inside. Would it be a bad idea to keep her indoors most of the time? And I've read that being the only chick can cause them to act like roosters, but I really cant have her making all that noise so how can I stop the crowing behavior? She is currently going on 4 months of age. I have been told by several chicken lovers that shes a hen but can I have an experienced chicken lover confirm this? Any tips or advice will help! View attachment 2323648
He’s a cockerel. Great job rescuing him!

If you believe you can take care of your rooster, then I don’t see why you shouldn’t keep him. Chickens can be kept inside, though it’s best to bring them outside daily to do outdoor chicken activities. Also, if you and your other pets provide him company and he doesn’t seem lonely, then he should be fine by himself. However, I wouldn’t get him a crow collar, as they can be uncomfortable.

If you were wondering about his breed, he appears to be a Phoenix mix or a gamefowl mix. He’s a very handsome rooster. :)

Have you ever used a crow collar? Have you seen some of the stories about their things?

Not when those hormones start raging. Can't really judge sweetness until he's gone past a certain age...

How about a nice new home, where he can be a normal cockerel?
There are very few nice homes for roosters. If the OP can keep him and give him companionship, I don’t see why they shouldn’t.

you can get one more rooster and have a bachelor flock! two shouldn’t be too hard to keep indoors! then they can have supervised outdoor time, as long as they have a good diet and some outside time they’ll be happy and healthy
Doesn't solve the crowing issues if you live in town and males are illegal for that reason

I once had a lovely pet rooster when living in a condo in hawaii. Fortunately there was a lot of open space around us and the nice manager didn't mind as long as I didn't let him wake people up. My solution: He free ranged in the day time and went in a cat kennel in the car at night. Muffled the crowing. Worked great. Just had to get up early to let him out every day before it got too hot. Did that for years. PS YES he is definitely a rooster.

thats a cockerel...but its ok. i have a tiny lil cream crested legbar cockerel whos sleeping on my pillow as we speak. he crows alot too, but mostly when hes separated from me or im out of his line of sight. it sounds like your cockerel has bonded to you. they do make 'no crow' collars...i have one, but havent tried it yet.

love your baby. hell be ok indoors.

There are very few nice homes for roosters. If the OP can keep him and give him companionship, I don’t see why they shouldn’t.
Eh, and as stated, that's part of the problem.
Would I like to be a cockerel inside with no other flockmates? No, I'd actually rather not. Don't get me wrong. I love cockerels.
That's why I'm not willing for someone to go into having a no crow collar without a word of warning.
Thank you everyone for all your helpful responses! I am very attached to him at this point but unfortunately I cannot add more chickens at this time. I love chickens and have always wanted to keep a flock but my yard is definitely not big enough and i want him to be happy. It hurts me to say but I may have to start thinking about re-homing him :'(
I'm sorry, it's a hard thing to decide. I hope he finds a good home.

I can understand not wanting to keep it because of the crowing, but don't be concerned about keeping a single chicken due to its "mental health". People keep happy single chickens as pets all the time.

You will have to rehome him to someplace suitable. It is a rooster and not a hen. If you really want a "house chicken" you can purchase a chick that is proven to be a female from farm type stores in the spring. Mail order places will not sell single chicks to you for several reasons.

Do not opt to try a "no crow collar". I use them and they do not silence the bird. The bird still crows and it is loud enough to be unsuitable for an indoor/apartment with neighbors situation.

I rescued a baby chick that was being rejected by what seemed to be the mother, and was in danger of getting eaten by cats. I live in a townhouse with a small yard and 4 dogs all diff sizes. She's an only chick but she gets along with the dogs! There are some days she'll get spicy and try to peck at their faces. She's pretty smart and I feel like she listens when I tell her to stop because then she'll walk around them just fine. What's really becoming an issue is crowing. I bought her a coop with a run which I've been keeping indoors in the same area as the dogs so they're next to each other but can't get to each other when I'm not around. My backyard is very small and although the plan was to fit her coop in a corner so she can be outside, we can't do so yet because we are in the process of paving the yard. What I'm realizing is that the crowing is going to be an issue for my neighbors if/when she gets moved outside. My boyfriend actually wants to keep her inside but I understand chickens need some sun and some grass to graze. I've tried letting her outside but shes terrified of the outside world and quickly runs back inside. Would it be a bad idea to keep her indoors most of the time? And I've read that being the only chick can cause them to act like roosters, but I really cant have her making all that noise so how can I stop the crowing behavior? She is currently going on 4 months of age. I have been told by several chicken lovers that shes a hen but can I have an experienced chicken lover confirm this? Any tips or advice will help! View attachment 2323648
That is a rooster! And a beautiful rooster, too!I don’t see why you can’t keep him inside since you already are, and let him out to play for awhile every day.

Back
Top Bottom