Hens and eggs??

Kschut669

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 13, 2010
So heres the deal. We just got three Isa reds on saturday. They are all said to be between 8 months to 1 and a half years old. They are all very beautiful, nice plumage, healthy looking birds. They have a large coop with a 10' by 6' outdoor pen. But I'm only getting one egg a day. Not 1 egg per hen 1 egg and thats it. The day after we got them there was two eggs in the coop, but they are provided with feed, grit and water. Why aren't we getting more eggs. This is the first Time I've had chickens, is it because its getting close to winter? I just don't know. Help me?

Assuming they were all laying before you brought them home, I believe they are probably just getting use to their new environment. Birds can take a little while after going through the stress of new home or even a new coop. There are other reasons too, that's just the first one I'd suspect. Another would be length of day, as the day gets shorter egg production will decrease. I use a timer to keep around 14 hours of light. Another thing to look at would be the breed, I'm not familiar with Isa Reds, but I'd do some research on them as well. Hope this helps. Lance

welcome-byc.gif

The hens will need some time to adjust to their new enviroment before starting to lay again. The two eggs you got the day after the move were likely already "in the works", so they were laid.
One hen has obviously already settled in, which explains the egg you are getting daily. The others need more time, but being that chickens are individuals, just like us, it's hard to say how much time.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. We thought this might be another reason too that they're just new. But it's nice to know you think that to.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom