Hens Crop Not Empting at Night Please help

little lady sounds like you have a mass in there but its caused a fungal infection by allowing food to sit too long. when she vomits does it smell sour? if yes that sounds like sour crop if thats the case id suggest an anti fungal,cant see where you are if usa then monistat if uk then canesten both from chemist and people meds. get 3 tablets cut each into 3 pieces and give 1 piece morning and 1 piece evening. til all gone or you can get to vet mon. you can try vomiting her before meds if your comfortable with doing that. it can be risky. but only before meds not after. then when you get a liquid free crop if theres a mass you could try veg oil and massage to break up that mass. id suggest mashing food to get some nutrition passed that mass. cover pellets with boiling water to mash easier then top up with cold water until runny mash. make sure its not too hot you dont want a burnt crop. massage a couple times throuhh day to work food down and keep her strength up. these cases tend to take a while to correct so best to try and keep her strong. good luck xx it always happens on a weekend!

Sounds like you have 2 things going on & if there is excessive mucus(looks like clear snot) then she probably has a Fungal infection on top of being somewhat impacted. If you don't have a good avian vet you could try Monistat 3 & slice supositories into 1/3rds(5-7Lb. hen) avg.1/3rd Morn./Eve.). I have recently consulted an Avian Vet (30+ yrs exp.) & she gave me Fluconozole for 8 days. It seems to be clearing up one that had an INTESTINAL Yeast infection(neg. in Crop but + in fecal). when she started the Fluconazole I noticed tons of White slimy stuff on her Fecal(not the normal urea look). My other Older one has the Bloated crop,mucus,& seems to be having problems with liquid-aspirating into lungs). I was on day 4 & seen a little regression since I stopped the Monistat 3 so I started giving Monistat in morn.& her Fluconazole in eve. See a bit more progress mucus/swallowing wise but still feel a lump nickel-quarter in size elongate shape in crop. They produce a lot of this clear mucus & its a response to try & wall off the Fungus.
The Vet stated she Could have Pneumonia from aspirating food but breathing seems clear unless she has 1/3rd crop full. I got the nerve up & went for something I was a bit leary on. As a Med. Asst. even though she told me this Fluconazole treats Fungal-Yeast-& has an affect on Aspergilosis(respiratory) I know that just like a virus that maybe some of the Fungus may not be responding to it.

I read up on Gentian Violet & how well it works but I had NO way to swab the inside of the crop so I thought I would try the throat area & also wiping it on the Outside of the crop where this mass is located. I know skin absorbs & the crop lining is a thin muscle. All I can say is this eve I already see a difference in breathing. I know some of the G. Violet had to work its way downward. If you are seeing straw in poop Mineral oil/water mix at room temp may help get the intestines going BUT the downside is it will have an affect on intestional absorbtion (vitamins etc). I would say its more important to try & unblock her. Light massaging with Fingertips OR what I have used in past is those lame sm. Vibrators they sell at CVS/Walmart so you can massage you neck,etc. I actually had a Hen lay on it during her intestional bout(shocked me).
Well hopefully I have given you a few things to try. I always like to add to all my Posts is Denegard is a great thing to have around. It treats BOTH Respiratory & quite a few intestional issues & DOES seem to have an affect on Fungal for Crop. It has a salt base The Denegard site will say for NON U.S Residents but just ignore that & read about all its uses/success. . Its big in Europe. Its FDA approved in U.S. but Not for Chickens. Everybody loves it &you can find it at QC Supply.com(see reviews 5 star).
Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom