hens crowing

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

so squatting is a form of crowing?? she doesnt sound just like a cock a doodle do more like a urr urr urrr urrrr.
cool.png

very normal most of mine do it​

I am becoming more and more convinced that this transgender behavior in Chickens is due to inbreeding. In all my years with chickens growing up. We NEVER had roosters/hens that crowed and laid eggs! How many of these birds are from Hatcheries?

This morning I heard what sounded like a dying goose coming from the chicken yard. I have five Golden Comets (10 months) and one Ameraucana (5 months). Sure enough, the Ameraucana took a deep breath, puffed up, and released this ridiculous honking sound like a roo crow. I watched her do this a few times. The other girls huddled around her looking as if to say "What is wrong with you ?!". This is a link to someone's site, but this is what my Ameraucana looks like:

http://www.mypetchicken.com/PicturePop.aspx?image=/images/chickenPix/Large/Studio_AmrcnHn_0146_L.jpg

What is interesting is that she was introduced to the flock about two months back and was clearly the lowest on the pecking order. Now, it seems she is trying to work her way up the pecking order and will occasionally jump on the back of a few of the girls and grab their neck feathers in a show of dominance. She is physically larger than the others, even at 5 months.

Maybe she is just bossy :) But I'm not sure what I'm going to do if she increases her crowing volume
hmm.png

Kristen

Yes -- dying goose sound. That's what my suspected hen (but now I know he's a rooster) started doing just recently at 11 weeks. He's an aracauna crossed with a blue orpington. Is your aracauna laying eggs? Maybe she's a he...

I've been having a similar issue with my 4 month White Sultan pullet. She starts crowing around 6 and wont stop till 8 or 9.

Here is a video I was able to catch her this morning.

Since she's not in frame here is a photo.
Scratchy.jpg

Is she a he??

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

lol.png
I WANT TO START WITH I LOVE THE VIDEOS!!!! THE ONE OF THE LITTLE ONE WITH POOR VISION AND A LITTLE BRAIN DAMAGE ALMOST MADE ME CRY! DID THAT HAPPEN FROM BEING PECKED ON? WELL THIS ONE I AM TALKING ABOUT SHE(I HOPE IS A SHE) DOESNT SOUND AS LOUD AND COCKADOODLE DOIE AS THE OTHER TWO. I GUESS I WONT KNOW UNTIL SHE LAYS AN EGG OR NOT. I SURE HOPE ITS A SHE. THEY ALL WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HENS BUT SO FAR 2 OUT OF THIS 3 THAT I KNOW OF ARE ROOSTERS. HOW DO YOU RAISE ROOSTERS WITH ROOSTERS? I MEAN ARE THEY MEAN TO ONE ANOTHER CAN THEY BE WITH ONE ANOTHER? SO FAR THEY DO FINE. THEY PICK FROM TIME TO TIME BUT NOTHING BIG. 193

Wheatie was the runt of her brood. She did get picked on quite a bit. We had over 30 chicks in the coop and didn't notice she was having trouble until she was a little older. She does great now and has actually been integrated into a pen with her and younger female. She faithfully lays an egg everyother day and will crow from time to time when she feels lost. Don't feel bad for her, she is well loved and treated!​

Last edited:
Hi,

My hen came from a breeder in New Hampshire as a 4 week-old. But I hope, hope, hope that she is not a he. She is just 5 months now so I was thinking I should expect some eggs in Aug/Sept?

This is a photo from a website as to what an Ameraucana Hen can look like:
89228_studio_amrcnhn_0146_l.jpg

These are photos of my bird:
89228_618072682.jpg
89228_618072681.jpg
89228_618072680.jpg
89228_618072679.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom