Hens Eating Eggs...

gltrap54

Songster
13 Years
Mar 26, 2010
For the first time in my nearly 70 years I have a hen(s) eating 2-3 eggs daily from a mixed flock of 15 (Legbar & RIR) that are 18 months old... I've researched the problem (ie. ceramic nesting eggs, increase in calcium, etc, etc....) to no avail.... First I need to figure out who the troublemaker is.... I'm about to try filling blown out eggs with mustard & blue food coloring but I don't hold out much hope.. My coop is wired with 110, so I've given thought to a camera for observation.... I'm really frustrated & kicking around the idea of getting out of the chicken business after all these years....😢

For the first time in my nearly 70 years I have a hen(s) eating 2-3 eggs daily from a mixed flock of 15 (Legbar & RIR) that are 18 months old... I've researched the problem (ie. ceramic nesting eggs, increase in calcium, etc, etc....) to no avail.... First I need to figure out who the troublemaker is.... I'm about to try filling blown out eggs with mustard & blue food coloring but I don't hold out much hope.. My coop is wired with 110, so I've given thought to a camera for observation.... I'm really frustrated & kicking around the idea of getting out of the chicken business after all these years....😢
How long has this been going on?
Might be more than one if it's been more than a few days or so.
Best solution, once you find the culprit(s) is soup.

Can't really help you as I have not had much problem with this. I have had a few times when Broken eggs with no insides were present but few and far in between. I suspected this may be the case but not sure. And it has not impacted my overall egg production.
I would think if it were a problem, You are on the right track, Identifying the perpetrator and isolating/ getting rid of it.. Not real sure of the way to do it though.

How long has this been going on?
Might be more than one if it's been more than a few days or so.
Best solution, once you find the culprit(s) is soup.
Yuup! Been going on a couple of weeks... Losing 5-6 eggs per day from a flock of 15... Trying to get a camera set up to find the culprit(s) & they are toast or should I say soup lol

Have you tried higher protein feed? Use yellow dishs soap, most chickenstock like mustard since it's not spicey to them.
Yeah I tried the eggs filled with food coloring/yellow mustard & they ate those too without getting a drop on them ... LOL

I have this problem and I've tried everything. Today the first egg lay of the year got gobbled by the usual suspect - so disappointing because no eggs have been laid for four months and I'd hoped the habit was broken. Now I have the prospect of no eggs unless I do the deed. I think this is THE issue that gets people to quit chicken keeping. All that feed and money especially over the winter months does not make this a cheap pasttime and when you get no eggs that truly is it. I only keep 3 in a biggish area but I feel like throwing in the towel and restarting with even more space in a new house and a mindset more orientated to meat and egg production - right now I'm keeping 3 chickens almost as pets and that was not my original aim.

I have this problem and I've tried everything. Today the first egg lay of the year got gobbled by the usual suspect - so disappointing because no eggs have been laid for four months and I'd hoped the habit was broken. Now I have the prospect of no eggs unless I do the deed. I think this is THE issue that gets people to quit chicken keeping. All that feed and money especially over the winter months does not make this a cheap pasttime and when you get no eggs that truly is it. I only keep 3 in a biggish area but I feel like throwing in the towel and restarting with even more space in a new house and a mindset more orientated to meat and egg production - right now I'm keeping 3 chickens almost as pets and that was not my original aim.
What feed are you using? What is the protein percentage? Do the hens have access to calcium more than layer food and their own egg shells?

What feed are you using? What is the protein percentage? Do the hens have access to calcium more than layer food and their own egg shells?
I looked at protein and calcium solutions, golf balls, entertainment, cuhcking out of coops etc - 'everything', but it is more basic than that. A neighbour had a fox attack and had one hen left - a silkie. The neighbour asked me to take her in so I did. I didn't know anything about silkies at the time but now know they don't normally roost. She slept in the nesting box at first but then wanted to roost with the others so she clambered up one night and that was the way it stayed but then she got so confused she started laying on the roost and the eggs dropped down and cracked and voila! She is the dominant hen and now waits outside the nesting box ready to eat the eggs. She has the taste for eggs and that's it. It's chaos and quite awkward because of the neighbour. My last hope is to put her in the garage for two weeks to upset the hierarchy. Hopefully a new boss won't accept her sitting there waiting for a meal and I will make an effort to keep her off the roost when she returns. Otherwise that's me out of ideas. Thanks for your reply though.

Back
Top Bottom