Hens eating inside of eggs

Dede Giesbrecht

Chirping
Jun 5, 2018
Good afternoon,

I have a question, my hens are now three years old. they just started laying again last month after a three month stop. I am finding that now they are laying they are eating the inside of the eggs. They leave the shells behind. They are fed 16 or 17% laying pellets, oyster shells and oats. Plus they get kitchen scraps from the house. I have tried to put golf balls in the coop, tried putting mustard in the shells ( they love it). I try to collect them often, but with work they usually lay while i am at work, so I can only collect at morning, lunch and after work. I know that not all 6 are eating them as I have two broody that will sit and protect them. I am at a loss on what to do next... I am hoping culling is not the answer.

Try switching to a higher protein ration. I recommend around 20%. Something like a non medicated starter grower or a flock raiser. Add a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs. Stop all the extras for now. Add in some protein snacks from animal sources like cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or canned fish.

Put some ceramic eggs in your nests to deter success pecking, and collect often. Often by age 3 some hens can become protein deficit, especially if fed a layer ration, and will crave protein.

Make sure your nestboxes are higher off the ground so passing birds can't see the eggs.

You have some hungry birds. They are craving more protein and are taking it by eating eggs! Feed them scrambled eggs, tuna and high protein foods for a week or two. Don't give them corn, just dried mealworms for snacks. Do what you are doing in gathering eggs as soon as you can. Hopefully when they don't feel like they are starving anymore they will stop. This happened to my friend and better nutrition helped to stop it. Good luck. :D

Welcome to BYC...sorry you are having troubles.

Interesting that they are leaving the shells, don't hear that very often.
Are you positive that the chickens are eating the eggs....or maybe a rodent?

You could also look into roll out nest boxes, where the eggs roll into a compartment after they're laid. Doesn't address the problem directly but at least it'll get the eggs away from them.
I have given a thought to roll out boxes but they don’t seam to use the boxes they have very often....they lay all over the coop

Welcome to BYC...sorry you are having troubles.

Interesting that they are leaving the shells, don't hear that very often.
Are you positive that the chickens are eating the eggs....or maybe a rodent?
Yes their coop is sealed really good. And I don’t think they would let anything in the coop with out a fight. I have ventilation in but it is all screened up so nothing can get in.

Back
Top Bottom