Hen's Eye Swollen Shut

Coinkdink

In the Brooder
I let out my chickens this morning to roam as i do everyday.
Now while I was cleaning the coop the White Hen was on a ledge and my other Male tried to mate with her whilst she was right on the edge, now they both ended up falling down to the ground, i ran up to make sure they were ok and they seemed to be fine.. However I picked the White Hen up and noticed her right eye was red and watery, it was half closed and then she finally shut it and wouldn't open it.

I don't know if she's sustained some sort of eye injury whilst she was tumbling to the floor with the other Male or maybe he had accidentally pecked her eye before because when I let them all out beforehand I hadn't noticed anything wrong with her eye.. Then again it could be entirely something else.

I've gone Pharmacy and brought some Saline Solution to clean out her eye properly. She's eating and drinking fine, still roaming around and being active so that's a good sign I hope. She is opening her right eye up occasionally but not for long. I did clean her eye with plain water the first time I noticed it and some white, goo did come out.

Should I try and take her to a Vet?? I've read maybe buying some eye drops (Optrex etc etc) to put in her eye but I think that's only if it's an infection not an injury. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190228_103635.jpg
    20190228_103635.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20190228_103627.jpg
    20190228_103627.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190228_103757.jpg
    20190228_103757.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190228_103802.jpg
    20190228_103802.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 11
It's hard to know if it's due to injury, respiratory infection or if she may have gotten something in the eye (debris). The pus indicates infection.
Flush the eye with saline and remove the pus. You may need to press on the tissue surrounding the eye to get all the pus.
Flush/repeat removal of pus a few times as day as needed.
If you can get an ophthalmic ointment, to put in the eye that would be good. Since you are in the UK, likely you will need a vet - I'm not sure what you have available over the counter.

upload_2019-2-28_8-54-58.png

Since your hen is behaving normally except for the eye issue, it's probably just a localized infection in her eye. I would follow @Wyorp Rock 's suggestions to push out the pus and treat with a topical eye ointment, either neomycin or terramycin. This is a normal procedure dealing with this sort of thing and is necessary to heal to infection.

I've dealt with both a localized eye infection in a chicken as well as a systemic infection where the hen is sick, overall. So, just treating with an ophthalmic antibiotic such as terramycin is what I would also suggest in your case.

Since your hen is behaving normally except for the eye issue, it's probably just a localized infection in her eye. I would follow @Wyorp Rock 's suggestions to push out the pus and treat with a topical eye ointment, either neomycin or terramycin. This is a normal procedure dealing with this sort of thing and is necessary to heal to infection.

I've dealt with both a localized eye infection in a chicken as well as a systemic infection where the hen is sick, overall. So, just treating with an ophthalmic antibiotic such as terramycin is what I would also suggest in your case.

Thank you all for your replies.

I don't mean to be of annoyance but could you possible link an ophthalmic ointment just so I have an understanding of what to get??? I've looked online and their are so many different kinds that I'm confused on which one to buy.

Thank you.

Thank you all for your replies.

I don't mean to be of annoyance but could you possible link an ophthalmic ointment just so I have an understanding of what to get??? I've looked online and their are so many different kinds that I'm confused on which one to buy.

Thank you.
Terramycin would be good if you can get that.

In a pinch, you can use triple antibiotic ointment that has neomycin in it. You should be able to get that over-the-counter, even in UK.

In a pinch, you can use triple antibiotic ointment that has neomycin in it. You should be able to get that over-the-counter, even in UK.

Thank you so much for you're help!

I cleared out the eye 3 times today with the Saline at different hours and each time she seemed to be opening her eye more and more, she's still closing it but leaving it open more longer.

I will get the Ointment tomorrow, hopefully the pharmacy has 1 of them or i'll have to order it which means it will come earliest next Monday.. Don't really want to wait that long.

Thank you once again :)

Back
Top Bottom