Hens HATE Soldier Flies?

miiichaelnielsen

In the Brooder
May 8, 2020
Dripping Springs, Texas
I bought a huge bag of those soldier fly larvae treats for them and none of my girls act even remotely interested in them. I've tried both dry and rehydrating them with no avail.

What gives? I thought they be going crazy over them.

I'm mostly just curious if anyone else has had this experience?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 10.29.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 10.29.11 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 48
I bought a huge bag of those soldier fly larvae treats for them and none of my girls act even remotely interested in them. I've tried both dry and rehydrating them with no avail.

What gives? I thought they be going crazy over them.

I'm mostly just curious if anyone else has had this experience?

I would just keep offering them as treats my hens didn’t like them much when I first introduced them but now they love them

Two of mine will eat the dried mealworms, the other two turn up their beaks at them now although they all loved them as babies, I fed them crushed up ones from my hand. They all go crazy for the live ones. Once this bag of dried ones is gone, I'm not getting any more. They'd rather have roaches and blueberries anyway.

Mine go crazy over them, but I don’t give them to them all the time or by itself. Usually mixed in with scratch grains, they pick out the grubs first of course. I buy the huge 11lb bag off Amazon which seems to last a few months.
This summer been giving mine fresh BSF grubs out of a little Rubbermaid tub setup I raise them in and they almost fight over those

My lizard won't eat the dried ones either. I some times just crumble them up on top of his other food. Still gets nutritional benefit of them - lots of protein and calcium! I still offer them though. Maybe eventually he will realize they are the same thing he is getting with greens and that he likes the taste. He loves the live BSFL though!

Back
Top Bottom