Hens have fowl pox- what to do about chicks???

JAZsMom

Songster
8 Years
May 29, 2014
Damascus, MD
I've got 2 hens I'm hoping to keep- one has had pox for about 3 weeks and the other seems to be developing them. They appear to be fine except for a few pox on their combs. Problem is I need to make introductions to my 3.5 weeks old chicks- and have them move into together soon! Do I give up my sweet hens to protect the chicks? I dont have anywhere to keep them separated.
hit.gif
What would you do? Suggestions? ETA-Would you give back the hens youre in love with to protect the little ones (that youre also in love with), or risk giving the little ones pox, in hopes they just get the minor skin version the hens have????

Last edited:
Dry fowl pox ordinarily runs its course in about 3 weeks then disappears. It makes them immune for ife from a recurrence. It comes from mosquitoes, not other chickens (at least I don't think it can be transmitted from bird to bird.) When my flock had it, no ne got wet pox or really got sick from it. I hope things work out well for you.

Dry fowl pox ordinarily runs its course in about 3 weeks then disappears. It makes them immune for ife from a recurrence. It comes from mosquitoes, not other chickens (at least I don't think it can be transmitted from bird to bird.) When my flock had it, no ne got wet pox or really got sick from it. I hope things work out well for you.

Thanks, Judy. Would you be concerned about putting the sick hens with the 4 week old chicks? I know there's 2 strains, but I also know my kids can get one strain of a sickness and it will morph into something different as it makes its way through the house. I'm just worried the little guys, whose immune systems are still developing could get real sick? Thank you!

It didn't sound like you had much choice about whether to mix them.

Here is the Merck article on fowl pox.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/fowlpox/fowlpox_in_chickens_and_turkeys.html

Well, these hens are rented...so, we CAN give them back on Friday, but we REALLY want to keep two of them, we're in love....so, just hoping to find opinions on just giving them back or if it'll be ok to mix (we've begun introductions, but they haven't been up close and personal yet). Thanks for the link- off to read it now!

Back
Top Bottom