Hens Laying in the Winter

chick_magnet

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2010
I bought some straight run chicks this year. I bought white legger, blacksex link, and RIR. The person i bought it from said RIR will continues to lay eggs during the winter months. I've been doing some research and it seems like no bird lays egg in the winter unless they have artificial light. Did I get con by the person I bought the chick from? It my first time try to produce my egg so any advice would help. Thanks

I use artificial light and gets more eggs in the winter than in the summer. They don't slow down in the summer, but they do free-range so I don't always find their eggs if I let them out before they're done laying for the day. Anyway, with plenty of light, whether artificial, or with lots of windows, they should still lay for you. If you're in a very cold climate you'll want to pick them as soon as you can or they will freeze (unless, of course, your coop is heated) when it's way below zero.

We have a RIR and she didn't start laying eggs until she was five months. This was around october. A month later she was laying one everyday. We live in Scottsdale, AZ It's mild here in the winter. I'm wondering how shes going to do this summer when its 105 to 110 on average. Its hitting 100 now and she is still laying every day.

Jen in AZ

I have six RIR's, and I don't get any eggs in the winter, unless they have a light and warm water
brought to them every day!!! But their still sooo pretty to look at lol
smile.png

I have the heavy breeds (mostly brown egg layers) will produce all winter long given artificial light to lengthen the day to about 16-18 hrs of light. Take th light awau and production drops a lot.

Hi, Here is central NJ I use artificial light to extend the day 16-17 hours or so. That works well, eggs they keep laying. I also find that too much light, (keeping it on all night) really wears them out. They get stressed, loose feathers and stop laying. They need a rest, and a month of no artificial light, when the coldest part of winter is past (for us around the beginning of March), seems to keep them stress free. After the end of Feb. I just stop using the light, and let them get used to the natural day length.

Back
Top Bottom