Hens laying on eggs??

galag

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
I need help. Our hens have been laying eggs for about three weeks now and I never see them laying on them. We let them out when we get home and they have laid eggs, but we never see them sitting on them. Why aren't they and when will they start?

Hens just don't start automatically setting on their eggs just because they start laying. When will they start. They will start when they are ready. I haven't a hen set yet. I wish the would but, I have to wait on them to be ready. I have asked the same question. We all learn with time that all chickens are different and they all do things from crowing to laying and setting, when they get ready. It is to cold where I live. I hope none of our hens set, at least not right now. We had a game hen come out of our woods with 10 baby chicks..We had to put them in a pen and keep a heat light on them. It has been alot of worry. The hen is a game and her chicks where new hampshire and barred rocks. all the hens laid in one nest apparently..now the chicks are really out growing her. Good luck with your chickens.
welcome-byc.gif

This might seem like a stupid question, but do you have a Roo? and even if you do, they seem a little young to go broody, I wouldn't expect them to set until spring.

Oh thanks everyone. I am so new to all of this. I have been getting the eggs out because I didn't want them to spoil, specailly since the hen wasn't sitting on them. Once I see her sitting on them, I'll most definately leave them.

JayBird+16 :

This might seem like a stupid question, but do you have a Roo? and even if you do, they seem a little young to go broody, I wouldn't expect them to set until spring.

pardon my ignorance, but I'm assuming a roo is a rooster, yes, we have 2 of them. We originally had four roosters and two hen. We had to give two of the roosters away because of all the fighting. We were so new to this when we first purchased them, we honestly believed the guy we bought them from. He said he could tell what sex they were, and they were only about five weeks old, by looking at their feathers. Needless to say, we ended up with nothing like we thought.​

A hen will go broody when she is ready to nest. You can't budge her off the nest. And she will let you know to leave her alone. You will know when they are ready to set on some eggs. It is all in the way they act.

Quote:
Oh thank you, thank you, thank you. I never thought in a million years I would have chickens, but once we got them, I don't see how we ever lived without them. They will sit on my leg and arm just like a house trained bird whenever I feed them. I just love it.

I am so glad that you enjoy them so much. I have some in the bator...they will hatch the 10th of December. I hatched out 19 on the 16th of Nov. I lost 4, but the others are doing great. Are you going to buy a incubator? It is an experience. I love being momma to a bunch of chicks. DeeJay
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom