Hens not broody and Roo shooting blanks???

tonynjen

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
Johns Island, SC
We have 2 hens now (lost 1 to a predator) and a rooster (VERY aggressive Rhode Island Red), all well over a year old. The girls yield plenty of eggs, but I've tested them and none seem to be fertilized. We've even incubated some of the eggs just in case, but nothing.
Do hens know when their eggs aren't fertilized? Or could they just not care to sit on them? Could Ralph (rooster) be shooting blanks? He does the deed, but...

Any help or ideas are appreciated!

If I was you I wouldn't breed from him. If he is aggressive it will pass in the genes and his offspring has a high chance of turning out the same!

I don't think my other half (Tony) realized that. Ralph's relentless. Tony's out of town at the moment, but I think we're going to have to have him for Sunday dinner soon. Ralph's attacked Tony, his son, his daughter, friends and me countless times. Since his spurs are now fully in, he's become even worse. Night before last he tried to attack me through the coop wire when I fed them. I can't let them free range when Tony's not here because Ralph stalks me. I'd open the door early before they come out of the hen house and let them free range all day (I'd stay inside) then close the coop up at dusk...... except that over the past few weeks they won't go back to the coop at night. Instead they park themselves on the deck railing looking in the living room window. Any ideas for that?

I don't think my other half (Tony) realized that. Ralph's relentless. Tony's out of town at the moment, but I think we're going to have to have him for Sunday dinner soon. Ralph's attacked Tony, his son, his daughter, friends and me countless times. Since his spurs are now fully in, he's become even worse. Night before last he tried to attack me through the coop wire when I fed them. I can't let them free range when Tony's not here because Ralph stalks me. I'd open the door early before they come out of the hen house and let them free range all day (I'd stay inside) then close the coop up at dusk...... except that over the past few weeks they won't go back to the coop at night. Instead they park themselves on the deck railing looking in the living room window. Any ideas for that?
If he is making you unhappy then just get rid, I had a thread a while ago about my aggressive cockerel and he got no better in the end so I got rid. you could try messaging this person on BYC to try see if you can solve his aggression but he sounds bad https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/63850/yazzo. As for them staying outside if I was you I would just chase them back in, if the cockerel attacks you a kick to the chest wont do any harm! Also you could try opening the pen a little bit and let each hen go out one by one and leave the rooster locked in so you don't have to watch your back.

Honestly, I think we're just going to have roast him. I'm too afraid of him at this point - Tony's big strappin' 17 y/o son won't even let them out. He came pretty close to getting it good with the spurs. Last week he challenged Tony so he picked him up and held him upside down for a few minutes then carried him for awhile. As soon as he put him down, Ralph went after him again. Tony repeated. The next time he saw Tony, he went after him AND his tiny 65 year old mother. (Her Siberian Husky saved her.)
The last time we met (Ralph and me) he raged out of the coop door as soon as I opened it. I whomped him with a broom on the side of his body and he came at me a half dozen more times - each time he got the broom to the side of his body. The last time he came at me, I missed and got him in the head. That's when he finally ran off. I feel like an idiot, but I'm terrified of that darn bird!

Even if he's doing the deed, even if he's fertile, a hen can be mounted by a rooster and choose to reject his sperm. So if the girls don't like him, they will submit to him but not let him fertilize their eggs.

I would absolutely, positively, get rid of this nasty rooster. Why would you want to breed this aggression into your flock? Why live in fear of a chicken? There are a million perfectly sweet and FREE roosters out there just looking for homes before their owners are forced to send them to freezer camp.

It took me ages to get rid of mine but now I will never tolerate a aggressive rooster, I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. Love being able to enjoy my girls again without having to watch my back!

It took me ages to get rid of mine but now I will never tolerate a aggressive rooster, I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. Love being able to enjoy my girls again without having to watch my back!
Johnn, I was wondering how everything worked out for you. I'm so glad!

Johnn, I was wondering how everything worked out for you. I'm so glad!
Well he wasn't killed but he was planned to but someone on a Facebook page insisted on driving 2 and a half hours to pick him up to take him to their friends. He was in quarantine at their rescue but went to his new home today and is a bit unsettled and quiet so hopefully it will knock him down a few pegs, I hope he behaves for them! He is on 4 acres with 10 ex batts.

Back
Top Bottom