Hens not laying for more than 5 months now.

berserker

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 19, 2012
My hens stoped laying eggs since the sumer and this is not the norm for them. All of them stoped laying, not a single one is producing eggs. They all lock strong, active and healthy as usual. This is the first time something like this happens.

This was a really bad sumer; lots of nonstop rain, humidity, swampy conditions on the yard and a lot of mosquitoes. This is something that constantly happens every sumer, just that this year was worse; never the less I've had years like this before. The onlly problems I've had regardind deseasess is roup, which I literally have erradicated through culling off the really sick birds and allowing to live them who exibit little to no simptoms and recover quick; and chicken pox which I have greatly reduced through the same method.

Is there any desease that can make a hen stop producing eggs while still looking healthy and strong ??

If by the spring of this year they dont start laying, I'll be really concerned.

Thanks.

Last edited:
They all range between 8 to 1 years old. They are already done with the molting and not a single one is laying; also, they all stoped at relativelly the same time. This is been going on for 5 month utill present time. This never happens. I even usually have hens to lay a few egg during the winter.

strange. it happened to my last year come to think of it and this year they are laying like monsters

They all range between 8 to 1 years old. They are already done with the molting and not a single one is laying; also, they all stoped at relativelly the same time. This is been going on for 5 month utill present time. This never happens. I even usually have hens to lay a few egg during the winter.

And a molt would not last 5 months.

If they look and act healthy, they probably are healthy.

By the way, what breed or breeds are your hens?

Last edited:
And a molt would not last 5 months.

If they look and act healthy, they probably are healthy.

By the way, what breed or breeds are your hens?
If they came into moult earlier then they would not start laying until the spring.

If they came into moult earlier then they would not start laying until the spring.

If they started molting in August, they should have started laying again after their molt. I would have expected them to start laying again in October at the latest.

Back
Top Bottom