Hens not laying

kudzu vine

Songster
11 Years
Oct 4, 2008
Olive Branch MS
I have two Buffs, four Barred Rocks and Betty. Betty is mixed Bantam and buff and lays almost every day. But, the others hardly ever lay. They are about a year and a half old. They are fed cracked corn, laying pellets, oyster shell and free range during the day. I'm ready for them to go! What could be the problem?

Two possibilities, either your hens are older than you think that's why they hardly ever laying, or else they are hiding their eggs out somewhere when they are free ranging.

If you raised them since they were chicks and know exactly how old they are, I would agree with the laying while free ranging theory.
Keep them penned up a few days (either just coop, or coop & run) with their laying boxes and see if you don't get some results.

I have the same problem except its just my bantams that are not laying. All My standard fowl are still laying like crazy. I want bantam chicks and can't have any if they won't lay. Ugh... it is so frustrating. Is there something I can do to get them to lay again?

I have this exact same problem and cannot figure it out for the life of me. My old english bantams this year have stopped laying eggs and I dont know whats causing it but it is getting late in the laying season and I still have no chicks for next year. These are hens that are at least 12 months old now so they are pleanty old enough. I haven't changed anything as far as feeding, watering etc. So does anyone know what I can feed to them to stimulate egg production or do for them to help them get going?

Thanks

llewis

I'm trying something that I hope will bring on the eggs. First, when I turn them out I'm not feeding them, only late afternoon when I put them back in pen and then feeding mainly laying pellets and very little corn.

Second, I've put a light back in their house. What I've seen is half go out in the morning and the other half are still on their perch up to around noon. Yesterday, I did get some eggs. I have looked the yard over for laying on the ground - nothing. Plus, since they are in a very large enclosed back yard, I never see one disappear. So, there are no eggs in the backyard.

I'm going to try this for the next two weeks and then if I get no eggs - they'll have to go. It is very frustrating. I live in North Mississippi and it gets cold here in the winter. Last winter, I was getting an egg every day from almost all of the girls. Now, the weather is nice and they're free ranging - nothing. Keep ya'll informed of experiment.

Janet

Back
Top Bottom