Hens or Roos?

kari_dawn

Songster
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
North Texas

I got a batch of freezer camp sexlink roosters (the white ones with black mantles), and a few barnyard mixes from a local lady. The barnyard mixes were straight run. I think the one with the black patch at the base of the tail may be a rooster, and the cream colored one with feathered shanks and the "partridge" may be girls.

What say you? (Oh, and the little grays running around in there are my lavender orpington pullets), also, I would be interested in any breed mix guesses!

The lady said the eggs these three came from were green, white, and brown. the "partridge" is believed to be some sort of EE, one of the others is believed to have come from the one leghorn in her flock, as the white egg was "huge", and the brown egg could be delaware, RIR, barred rock, speckled sussex, faverolle, buff orp, buckeye, dominique, and possibly some other breeds. she has splash and buff orp roosters, leghorn, new hampshire, and australorp roosters.

The cream colored chick has lightly feathered shanks, a single comb, and black smudges all over. It is hard to tell from the pics, but compared to her companions, she appears peach in color.

The white chick with a black patch at the base of his tail appears to have a pea comb and clean legs. Both of these birds are slightly built.

The "partridge" chick appears to have a single comb, and a slight topknot. Her legs appear yellow.

None of them look like cockerels at this point.

the brown chick doesn't look like any EE blood to me. Straight comb, yellow legs....just not seeing it. If she's got a crest, one parent had to be crested or partially so.

The white with black spot is probably from a Leghorn, one parent, and something black as the other.

The creamy chick had to have a parent who had feathered legs, but due to how light the feathering is, my thought is the parent was itself a mix.

The brown chick came from a green egg, which is why I thought maybe she was an EE of some sort. I have an olive egger with a single comb. She looks very close to a welsummer...and one of my EEs is beardless, so I didn't think it was outside the realm of possibilities for her to have ameraucana somewhere back in her history.

None of them look like cockerels at this point.

the brown chick doesn't look like any EE blood to me. Straight comb, yellow legs....just not seeing it. If she's got a crest, one parent had to be crested or partially so.

The white with black spot is probably from a Leghorn, one parent, and something black as the other.

The creamy chick had to have a parent who had feathered legs, but due to how light the feathering is, my thought is the parent was itself a mix.
x2

I guess if there is CCL in the mix somewhere, that could be in her ancestry. I forget they're becoming more common.

Back
Top Bottom