Hens or Roos?

Jekaiser15

Hatching
Sep 27, 2020
We have a Sapphire Gem that we think is a roo? It chases our other hens and may have crowed once, but unsure. The other is an Easter egger mixed with a barred rock and we're thinking roo as well? Thoughts? Also the black one was supposed to be a Sapphire Gem, we haven't heard it crow and its not aggressive, but may still be a rooster? We question because its noticeably smaller than our other black "Sapphire" that we know is a rooster. The whiter barred rock looking one is mixed with a California white and may be a rooster as well?

Attachments

• 20200927_111211.jpg
    20200927_111211.jpg
    859.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200927_110609.jpg
    20200927_110609.jpg
    903.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200927_112040.jpg
    20200927_112040.jpg
    912.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200927_112016.jpg
    20200927_112016.jpg
    817.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
All 4 are cockerels, and also the red cochin behind the black one in the last picture.
We're new to this, so tell what your giveaways are? The second 2 have never crowed, but looking at their feathers made me think cockerels. More pointed vs rounded.

We're new to this, so tell what your giveaways are? The second 2 have never crowed, but looking at their feathers made me think cockerels. More pointed vs rounded.
Big, upright red combs, sickle feathers in the tail (that is what makes them look round), thin, pointy saddle feathers, long, pointy hackle feathers. Male birds are generally glossier, too.

I'm sorry it's not better news. That's a lot of boys.

Big, upright red combs, sickle feathers in the tail (that is what makes them look round), thin, pointy saddle feathers, long, pointy hackle feathers. Male birds are generally glossier, too.

I'm sorry it's not better news. That's a lot of boys.
Thanks for the input! We still have quite a few hens, and we like the red cochin since he's a bantum so we're keeping him. We want to thin out the cockerals because they've been attacking the hens a lot recently. Some more aggressive than others but I'm sure its not helping that there's so many.

Thanks for the input! We still have quite a few hens, and we like the red cochin since he's a bantum so we're keeping him. We want to thin out the cockerals because they've been attacking the hens a lot recently. Some more aggressive than others but I'm sure its not helping that there's so many.
Yeah, you really should thin them out. 1 cockerel per 12 hens is about right, but if they get along you could keep 2 for that amount of hens if you want.

Your best bet is to advertise on Craigslist to re-home the cockerels. Always meet in a public place if you do, like a grocery store parking lot or something like that.

We also have state thread on BYC where you can advertise, or you can put a note up at feed stores. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom