1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens pick favorite nest box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigspringshatchery, Sep 14, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Do hens pick a nest box and use that one? In my rir pen I have 6 lens laying and four roll away boxes. And they all wanna use the same box. They are all the same size same everything. Why is this? It doesn't bother me just makes me wonder. I've seen two in the box and one waiting. She was standing at the entrance just waiting

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, YES. They DO have their favorites. Dunno whether it's chicken feng shue or what, but THEY know which nest is the BEST.

3. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    This is why we use fake eggs. Hens will lay where other hens have layed. So since you have a hen in a box the others go right to that box. I have 4 boxes but only 2 laying right now out of my 9 hens. Both lay in same box every day and at the same time every day too. When I had 22 hens laying they used all the boxes. I expect when I am up to all nine laying again they will use 2 boxes. So I would not worry to much about it.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, they do. I have about 25 nesting boxes and I will find 15 eggs in 1 nesting box. They will literally stand and wait in line until a hen has layed an egg and the next one will jump in and lay her egg. I have no idea why. [​IMG]

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I have four nesting boxes. They picked the smallest, most cramped one in the back corner and so far everyone wants to go in there!

7. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I have five girls and two boxes- they will favor one nest over the other for months - only lay in that one and just as you describe, wait in line for it with sometimes two or three girls up there at the same time, then for no apparent reason, start favoring the other nest with the same scenario. I have no idea why- and there are fake eggs in both nests- so who knows? [​IMG]

8. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

mine do this too i have 5 hens and 6 boxes but they all lay in the one closesest to the coop door that i walk up in to get in the coop so i toke all the straw beding outa the ones they never touch but i leave 2 full of straw but still they go for the 1 next to the wall and coop door crazy birds lol

9. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Mine will only lay in the right rear of the nesting area. No matter what's on the left, it doesn't matter, they all stick to the right side. And 2 of them will sit almost on top of each other if they have to, but they won't go anywhere else.

Except in the bushes sometimes. When winter comes I'll probably find a lot of eggs!

But usually they prefer a corner of the nesting area.

10. LuvMyPeeps7

LuvMyPeeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Lexington
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by