Hens quit using waterer

Mine hate nipples and don't use them at all. They prefer the cups(which never work in winter) or just a bucket they can get a big gulp out of instead of droplets from the nipple. :barnie
Do you have snow? Can they reach any? They might like the snow better and just want to be stubborn about the nipple waterer.. that's my best guess. :idunno

I think you must be right. I would see them stand on top of the water bucket to reach droplets of melting snow on the fence.
I’m thinking too that they just need a lot less water in the winter.

We’re getting quite a bit of snow now. I wonder if they have to wait until it melts to access it.

Some chickens will eat snow and yes it does seem they can get some of the water they need that way. Mine did it last year once the snow piled high enough that they didn't have to bend down for it - not sure if it really slaked their thirst or if it was just novel to them, or a little of both.

I also think that overall they're less thirsty when it's cool/cold than when it's hotter, when they need the extra hydration to deal with the heat.

Mine drink much less out of the heated nipple waterer if there is snow on the ground or it's been raining. I monitor their consumption daily.

Ditto Dat!

Exactly!

:gig HN's aren't new, or a fad, many use them very successfully. Worked fine here for 5 years now.

I too was concerned they wouldn't get enough, so I measured their consumption for a week or two before switching to nipples. It went down at bit at first, some didn't 'get it' at first, but a couple weeks in it was the same as with an open waterer.

We used it all summer and those 7 chickens could take the water level down pretty fast. They also switched over to the nipple method really quickly.

My 50W aquarium heater keeps the water at about 68°F, in an insulated jug.
A 250W trough heater only keeps water at just above freezing.
Let me explain the different circumstances and wattage differences, and how they act.
Aart's aquarium heater works well, even though LOW wattage comparatively. Reason is the INSULATED CONTAINER. Heater designed to make water @ 68*F. A built in thermostat shuts down power to the heating element when temp reaches setting. Same heater in an open container, and cold ambient temps, like 0*F ,,,,, and result would be possibly FROZEN WATER.
a 250 Watt tank heater is designed to maintain water temperature above freezing temp. Open tank, or insulated container would have similar temps, with the insulated one just slightly higher,,,,,, due to slower heat loss.
Was not able to find the exact temp specs of preset thermostat settings on these farm style Stock tanks. They ALL claim to not overheat water.
Here is a Copy, and paste from one tank's description.
Features
  • The patented cast aluminum design is safe, reliable, and efficient and is specifically designed for cold climates
  • It can be used in all styles of tanks - metal, rubber, and plastic - without the need for an additional cage or guard
  • Best for use in tank sizes of 150 to 300 gallons
  • It is thermostatically controlled to turn on and off automatically
  • Has a large diameter heating element that is open in the middle to improve the circulation of heat
  • The cord is protected by a metal spring which serves to deter chewing

Larger wattage tank heaters will keep a reasonable size tank from freezing.
Farmers with large capacity water tanks for their herds may need multiple heaters, depending on amount of water, and outdoor temps.

I understand that a higher watt heater won’t warm the water to a higher temperature. However if you live somewhere that gets -30 at night you’ll need a higher power heater than someone that barely dips below freezing.
Everything depends on the temperature setting of the heater.
The WATTAGE factor is important to compare, when you need to pair up a heater to your quantity of water to be heated.
Larger quantity, and colder temps mean Larger watt requirements.

Tank heaters do come with suggested sizes for water quantity, and outdoor temperature conditions.

Although we are trying to avoid plastic more and more, it does make for a decent material for heated water founts. About $40 each and they last for a couple of years…longer if you're real careful. Protecting them from the wind will keep the water from freezing to at least 0º.
We have 9 of them running all winter long.

I dropped a trough heater into the bucket to keep the water from freezing but doesn’t “heat” the water.

So they were thirsty, but refused to use the bucket with the heater in it except when absolutely necessary.

Maybe the heater changes the flavor?

Any chance they could have gotten an electric shock? That might be enough to make them stay away for quite a while, even if it only happened briefly.

Chickens do drink different amounts in different weather, so there's a chance their water needs really did go down, but I don't think that would account for the degree of difference you noticed.

For what to do:
Maybe leave that bucket, but put out a dish of fresh water once or twice a day.
That way they've always got the heated water in case they want/need it, but they can have a chance to drink "better" water sometimes (whatever better is to a chicken!)

Maybe the heater changes the flavor?

Any chance they could have gotten an electric shock? That might be enough to make them stay away for quite a while, even if it only happened briefly.

Chickens do drink different amounts in different weather, so there's a chance their water needs really did go down, but I don't think that would account for the degree of difference you noticed.

For what to do:
Maybe leave that bucket, but put out a dish of fresh water once or twice a day.
That way they've always got the heated water in case they want/need it, but they can have a chance to drink "better" water sometimes (whatever better is to a chicken!)

I’ve wondered if there might be a current in the water that they can feel. I’d wondered if anyone had had that problem with these heaters .

I thought I might just remove the heater, put in all fresh water and see how that works. I wonder how long it would take them to realize there is a difference.

The other waterer is only 2 1/2 gal. and the water in the trough freezes. Also, they continually foul the water in the trough.
That’s why I’m so keen on getting them back to the bucket.

How many chickens do you have?

As long as they don't drink it all up before it freezes, there's no reason for big water containers in freezing weather--a dog dish may be quite big enough, or a chick waterer that holds a quart, or a rubber bowl you can easily break the ice out of.

Having two waterers helps, because you can bring one out full of water, and take the frozen one in to thaw.

Or else have one that you can easily get the ice out of, so it's a fast job to refill it.

About the filthy water--can you put it up on something? (Milk crate, storage bin, concrete block, etc.) That usually helps keep stuff from getting scratched in.

I can certainly understand why you want the chickens to go back to the drinking from the nipple waterer, so I'm just making other suggestions in case they help in the meantime.

We have 7 chickens

The fountain is elevated on a stool but they get on top of it sometimes. There is a cover on it, they just poop in the trough when they sit on top.

I’ve fixed a toboggan disk over it and now they don’t jump on top
Also, somehow it must trap a little heat under there because it seems to have solved the frozen water problem too. At least until it gets much colder.
We’ve only been getting down into the teens at night.

Last winter we tried horizontal nipples in a 5 gallon bucket. Chickens were willing to drink from it, but as soon as we tried a de-icer type (doesn't heat up the water, just supposed to turn on when cold enough to keep it warm enough not to freeze. Well, despite being in the coop and protected and being plugged directly into a wall outlet, neither worked - frozen waterer. We tried 2 brand new ones, neither worked. So we moved to a bucket "heater" - water never froze, but the cage around the heater (meant to keep it away from the plastic bucket) were welded with a material that rusted quickly. The girls did not like HOT rusty water and refused to drink it. We tried to remedy the rust, but the girls would never drink the water. So we moved to a heated dog bowl. This worked fine. This year, we bought a large galvanized double wall waterer for the large water consumption of the summer, and now it is in the coop, on top of a heated base (which is elevated on concrete blocks). Works well because it doesn't freeze, isn't rusty, isn't hot, and is deep enough for them to get a drink. We have a lot of upper ventilation in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom