Hens Stopped Laying

Lady J

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2012
Arkansas
My 12 hens, all English Orpingtons, have suddenly stopped laying. Up until now, they have been extremely strong layers that didn't hardly slow down in either hot or cold weather. They are now 3 years old. After 3 years, I literally just had my first snake encounter when I noticed a shed snake skin under their house and then, after spot checking throughout the day, saw the snake IN the house, but not in a nesting box. I watched it slither up into the house, cruise around a support post and slither back out again. He didn't stay or approach the nesting boxes.

Of course, the weather has been extremely hot too.

Thoughts out there on whether my hens stopped laying due to:
1. Age
2. Heat
3. Stress from presence of snake
4. Other
I am checking the house multiple times a day and removing any eggs (if there are any), to deny the snake a food supply, so I know for sure the snake is not getting the eggs.

Thanks! I learn so much from all of you out there.
IMG_1515[1].JPG

Did they stop laying just after the snake encounter?
Do they look ill?
When was the last time the coop was cleaned?
Did they see the snake?
These answers would help a lot, thanks!

I had noticed a significant reduction in egg production prior to the snake encounter. I had not seen the snake and wasn't aware I had a snake until I found the shed skin. I am generally at their pen more than once a day just because I enjoy being around the birds and never saw the first sign of a snake. Of course, I have mice, so....hence the snake.

The birds all look perfectly fine. Nice and fully feathered. No signs of stress other than panting from the heat. I keep a fan running in their house to help.

I completely cleaned the coop with fresh bedding in May (I think).

There were only 3 broodies in the nesting boxes when the snake entered the house. The others were out free ranging.

Does this help at all?

Hi there. :frow
:hmm

You say they've never slowed down.. are you providing extra light? Lay hormone is light driven.. If they didn't molt in their second year, which usually includes complete STOP to laying for about a couple months minimum.. they are due now.. but would indicating by the exploded pillow all over your coop and run.

Also, heading up into the later half of my 40's heat, cold, and other things do effect me more than when I was younger. 3 years old is still pretty pretty prime for a chicken.

What is fed on a regular basis, including treats and supplements? How hot is hot is Arkansas?

When I have sudden decrease in egg production with NO good reason why.. a hidden nest is always suspect.. and often found, resulting in temporary lock down for retraining acceptable nesting location. I would definitely also consider the snake a prime suspect for where the egg MAY have gone.

Yes, knowing that you have 3 broody's helps.. that means you have a max of 9 layers and as they age laying does slow a BIT.. I would expect 3 eggs per week per layer... So maybe 2 dozen ish per week right now. How many are you getting for real??

Pics of your birds (snake) and set up always welcome! ;)

Not providing extra light.
All birds still appear to be fully feathered.
Hot in Arkansas is anywhere from mid to upper 90s to low 100s
Checking for eggs under broodies multple times a day. Nothing.
I have found random eggs in odd places from the other birds, but no central nest.
I now have them confined to their pen hoping they will go in the house to lay.
When they free range, they like hanging out in my shop underneath my horse trailer. I have looked and don't see any eggs.
Hens are fed a regular diet of layer feed + scratch + fruit scraps and other organic scraps...oh...and meal worms.
I am getting anywhere from 1-3 eggs per day spread out among 12 hens, 9 if you don't count the broodies.
Pic of snake is in original post. He is definitely a friendly, but he is a BIG friendly at +4 ft.

Did they stop laying just after the snake encounter?
Do they look ill?
When was the last time the coop was cleaned?
Did they see the snake?
These answers would help a lot, thanks!
Well all i can think of is maybe the snake left some sort of disease/ bug in the coop and the hens have maybe digested it somehow through food/water/bedding.. Maybe change their bedding because it should be changed around every 3 months and then clean out their food and water bowls
Let me know if this helps

Snake might be eating eggs....but to my knowledge they do not bring disease.
...or your birds may be ramping down production to get ready to molt.....'tis the season.
...or with 3 broodies n the coop they may have a hidden nest(s) out in range area.

I have confined all birds to their pen and check it multiple times daily for eggs. Yesterday, 0 eggs. The day before, 3.

Back
Top Bottom