Hens who suffer from Coccidia...?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kadjain, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

Will hens who have suffered from Coccidia as pullets still be good egg layers?

Thanks

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They can be- it depends on the amount of damage done (damage has been done when we realize they are ill).

I have dealt with it several times and got plenty of eggs. But also lost a chicken or two. Of course I started treatment pretty quickly.

Definitely it is supposed to reduce their productivity according to the literature I have read. But how much???? I don't know and it isn't enough for me to notice personally.

I wouldn't cull anyone if I were you on that assumption that they will have lower productivity.

3. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks. It is my first hatch of Thai so I was wondering if I should cull or not. She was sick enough to notice as a young pullet but now they are around 5+ months and she looks and acts fine just a little smaller than the others.
    I have a liquid cocci treatment from the vet but can't remember the name right now. What do you use for treatment of cocci?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I use Corid (amprolium).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by