Hens won’t lay!

ALFrench

Hatching
Nov 19, 2021
I moved my hens to a new pasture in August, and they still won’t lay! I have everything set up for them, and they seem happy, but they will not lay! My ducks stopped laying as well. Anyone have any idea why?

I moved my hens to a new pasture in August, and they still won’t lay! I have everything set up for them, and they seem happy, but they will not lay! My ducks stopped laying as well. Anyone have any idea why?
How old are your hens? Pics, and sometimes with less daylight they dont lay as much.

Hard to say why. Have you tried giving them a boost of protein? We mix turkey starter into the layer feed when they molt or to get them laying again sometimes.

Hard to say why. Have you tried giving them a boost of protein? We mix turkey starter into the layer feed when they molt or to get them laying again sometimes.
They are more free range now than they were in their last place. But I will still try that!

You have feathers everywhere?

Mine have decided its time to molt. 5 bar rocks..... could stuff a pillow with what's on the coop floor. Went from 8-9 eggs every day to 5-7. (Have 5 RIR pullets a few weeks into laying also)

So..... about a month from now they'll pick back up.

Could they be hiding their eggs or laying out in the pasture somewhere?

^^*THIS! Chickens are sooooooo good at hiding their eggs. I usually keep mine in the run until about noon, so as to try to ensure that they will lay in their boxes. Then they free range. Once they get a taste for laying outside though, it’s hard to break unless you keep them confined to a coop/small run for some time. I’ve literally watched a chicken hold an egg in and sprint out the door of the run to a bushy area that she likes to lay 😂

Back
Top Bottom