Her legs are gone

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bantymama, May 17, 2010.

1. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    I have a little banty who was limping a while back and never could figure out why. She was getting around good and got to the feed and water. Yesterday she ended up in a nother pen can't figure out she got in there either. When my hubby went and got her i checked her leg again to see how it was doing and she is missing both legs there is nothing but 2 nubbins. Anyone know what could of happened? She seems healthy and eats and drinks and still gets around. She is still laying eggs to. This is so odd i don't know what to think. All my other birds are doing great.

2. THough1956

THough1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

Could it be rats?

3. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    I really doubt it. I have never seen one or have had any around here.

4. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Or frostbite

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:Maybe her feet were frostbitten during the winter and it took a while for the dead tissue to fall completely off. If she can walk OK she may be fine ~ I would not allow her to free range though.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is she missing her legs or her feet? If it's just her feet, they probably froze this winter. They'll hobble around on their blackened feet until they just fall off. If her legs are gone, I would guess that some predator removed them.

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by