Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

thumbsup.gif

That genetic stuff is all thanks to Pete. Will be fun to build a buff flock of Toulouse. Once I can get buff/buff the greys will be sold or butchered. All about the buff, blue, lilac, lavender color around here. :D

I'm outta control. I don't even want to think about how many birds I will have roaming the property this summer.

I am sooo glad ya'll did that without me.... hubby would FLIP maybe next year I can fiddle with other breeds,lol

BTW I have ducklings arriving tomarrow..... I picked up some manta "life-lytes" should I give it to them or wait ans see how they'er doing?

OK, I'm glad i wasn't here when you all were buying eggs! i would have been tempted!

give me a update! PLEASE! Its hard readig 2 very active threads at once lol

My goodness you've all been busy and all this talk of Dewlap hatching eggs too
wink.png

We've had some good news and out of the 3 Buff Africans we set the last laid is showing fertile so thats the Gander proven at last. Not unexpected as the goose was bred 2011 and waiting for the older female to start laying. However we've another 3 so far but I'll wait for more till I set them. It looks like we may get a result from them this year.

On the other plus side one of the Buff Dewlaps started laying so we'll collect a few before incubating. These are run as a trio so we can expect 100% Buff offspring.

Its never easy buying Dewlap Toulouse hatching eggs but always remember to look at the parents so you'll have an idea how they may turn out. They're slow to develop fully and dont look their best until they're about 3 years old. However even young birds should show some dewlap and keel development. Here's some pics of some of ours;

DJ - PICTURE TAKEN AT 16 WEEKS AND ALREADY VERY BIG IN SIZE.

LINCOLN - PICTURE TAKEN AS AN 8 MONTH OLD GANDER

TIA - OUR BUFF DEWLAP GOOSE THATS JUST STARTED LAYING.

Hi All - again
wink.png

For those of you who are keen on Buff Dewlaps - or other Buff Geese here's a copy of our Genetics Chart to help you plan your matings. The 'Buff Gene' is a sex-linked recessive gene carried on the male chromosome only.

Hope that helps - Pete
wink.png

BUFF GENETICS CHART AND MATING OUTCOMES.

80310_buff_chart1.jpg

80310_buff_chart2.jpg

80310_buff_chart3.jpg

80310_buff_chart4.jpg

80310_buff_chart5.jpg

Hiya Pete, I thought you'd find the chat amusing from last night... we were busy bees! Glad to see the color chart. Celtic, Marty & I will all set our new toulouse eggs together and hopefully compare notes on the colors that hatch out.

As for the dewlap eggs, I talked to the lady I got my last set of ancona eggs from. She said her pair have just started laying, but fertility tests are not consistent enough to offer eggs for sale yet. But, she said she would email me when they were fertile and will sell me a few then. Her breeding pair are show quality birds, purchased as goslings last year from Holderread, so I am sure the goslings from her pair will be beautiful. Since I just bought these new toulouse eggs... I am set until I hear from her (although hubby keeps going on and on about how bad he wants a dewlap).

Regarding my set of goosies currently in bator... as of this morning (day 6), I have 6 out of 10 with spiders... and expect another 2-3 to show spiders by tomorrow. I think I will get 80% fertility, which I am super happy with!!

ETA: And stop showing pics of your birds...I'm getting tired of cleaning up drool off my keyboard.

Last edited:
Squishy (my daughter named it while in the egg
hu.gif
) is moving in the shadow at the back of the egg... no internal peep yet.
ya.gif
New ducklings arrived from Metzer so I have something to keep me occupied.

Back
Top Bottom